PDA

View Full Version : Woodward Fab 52" Foot Shear operation and setup questions

PhillipM
03-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Does anyone have or have you used a Woodward Fab 52” foot shear? We bought one at the last years SEMA show but have yet to use it. We have cleaned all of the cosmolean off of the pivot points and tried lubing it up using some PB Blaster. It just doesn’t seem to move freely. I haven’t tried to shear anything because it takes just about my body weight just to move it through a full stroke. I am wondering if I need to check the blade gap? Also on the front of the unit there are two bolts that go through the blade and the holding arm. These were tight and I loosened them to allow them to slip by each other because with them tight the blade will not extend down through a full stroke. My question on that is if it is loose doesn’t that effect how the blade will cut? Any help would be appreciated.

Phillip

Jim Nilsen
03-22-2008, 12:08 PM
It sounds like the person who set it up was in a hurry and just assembled it on the tight side. When you do them everyday and might be sick of your job or your boss and need to hurry up to get it out the door you might just set it up on the tight side and send it out. Go though your instructions for the correct adjustment and you should be fine. You are always better on the tight side than loose or you will fold the edge if it is just a trim instead of a full cut. Start at one end and adjust the set screws on the top knife as you go down thru the stroke until you are all the way down and you should be good. I am used to doing Pexto shears from Whitney but I would think that the design you are working with would be close to the same on setup. The other thing that could be causing it to be tight is too much spring tension and as you are already trying to loosen if it designed that way.

Regardless of what you do read the intructions for resetting the blades exactly and you should be good to go.