PDA

View Full Version : Help me find some fasteners

dipren443
03-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Ok, here is the situation. I am in the process of installing a Vintage Air setup in my Camaro. I wasn't a big fan of VA's solution for a block off plate. It would work perfect and keep you from cutting on the firewall, but I wanted something that looked a little cleaner. After purchasing the A/C delete plate from BMR fabrication and cutting the requisite holes for the plumbing, I had it powdercoated black.

On to the question. I would like to use an attractive fastener in place of the self tapping stockers. Button head maybe?? I can get lots of decent looking fasteners from McMaster, but none are tapered self tapping screws. What can I use in place of the stockers? I can take pics of the stock screws if need be. They are the ones that hold the stock A/C box on to the firewall. I just figured everyone would be familiar with them.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Finished plate:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

dipren443
03-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Bueller??? Bueller?? Someone has to have some input. :hmm:

jy211
03-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Maybe Ring bro's?

Bad Bowtie
03-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Could you use a threaded nutzert, rivnut or whatever they are called and then use a small 1/4-20 chrome or stainless buttonhead?
Just a thought
BB

dipren443
03-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Could you use a threaded nutzert, rivnut or whatever they are called and then use a small 1/4-20 chrome or stainless buttonhead?
Just a thought
BB

Not a bad idea at all. I have thought of that. I just bought a fancy nutsert installation tool. I was just looking for an easier way out... I thought there might be some pretty self tapping sheet metal fasteners out there.

Jim Nilsen
03-22-2008, 05:08 AM
How about using some stainless fine thread buttonhead screws and some acorn nuts, it will look clean on both side then and the hole can just be a hole.