PDA

View Full Version : 74 Pontiac Firebird transmission questions

xero
02-01-2005, 10:07 AM
My 1974 Firebird has a 350 pontiac block, manual 3 speed tranmission, and she is all stock. Long story short the transmission housing is damaged and needs to be replaced. Internals of the transmission are intact and undamaged from what I can see looking inside of it. I had the car towed home and shut her off as soon as the damage began and the fluid came spilling out.

Can someone tell me what years are compatible with my 3 speed? The local bone yard guys don't know what years are interchangable (they are not Pontiac experts). When I called they said they didn't have any 74 birds with 3 speeds. BUT... if other years will fit I may be in luck as they do have other Firebirds on hand with manual transmissions. Can anyone tell me if the 4 speed housing can be used on a 3 speed? What are my options here? My car is all stock and very original, it's also a family heirloom and a gift from my father. Any help is greatly appreciated. Perhaps there is an interchange manual I could buy online or something? I'm new to turning wrenches, please bear with me.

astroracer
02-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Any year 3 spd from 71 through 81 should swap. A Camaro is a likely donor as would be a Nova, Ventura or Apollo from the same era. I don't know a lot about the manual trannies but I see no reason they should be any different then the automatics. The bell housings won't swap from Pontiac to Chevy or vise-versa but the tranny itself should be the same...
Mark