PDA

View Full Version : Lt1 swap

kapittma
02-01-2005, 10:03 AM
So i know you have probably heard this a thousand times...but i was wondering what all needs to be done to install a 93 lt1 and tranny into a 67 camaro. Or if someone has a website that already shows pretty detailed steps that will work aswell. Thanks for any help.

68BNUT
02-01-2005, 12:31 PM
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/
this site seems to be pretty informative.
You can also do a search for it theres a ton of stuff.
But it seems like its been awhile since theres been a good thread on what you need and were to get it, so come on guys give up the knowledge!!

WS6
02-01-2005, 05:15 PM
physically itll fit no problem. the LT1 is a small block chevy. the hard part will be wiring and getting fuel to the engine.

the 93 is also an odd ball. it has many one year only parts on it, so be careful when buying parts. it is a speed density engine. that means you dont need a MAF and can design the air intake more to your liking without being limited by a MAF. the ECM is also a one year only item. its actually an Eprom not a flash prom style computer, so youll need chips not tunning programs like tunner cat or lt1 edit. the fuel injectors are batch fire not sequential like 94-97. the intake also has different fuel rails than the 94-97 cars. the opti spark is non vented and very easy to damage with water or heavy moisture. so keep that in mind when working with the water pump or cleaning the engine.

with all that said, dont even begin to think the engine isnt a great engine. try this website for any more info specific to the 93s. www.speeddensity.org

what trans did you get? manual or auto? the auto is still a 700r4 not the 4L60E, the manual is again a one year only item, but thats actually good. the first gear is a lower ratio which means itll get up and move much easier. believe it or not the 93s were very fast when they came out compared to the later Lt1 cars even with 10 less hp than the 96 and 97 cars, but that manual trans and its lower gearing made up for the power difference. supposedly there is also a second manual trans that was an option, but this i do not know about.

68BNUT
02-01-2005, 07:56 PM
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Streetstories/68ls1camaro/68ls1camaro2.htm
This page shows alot of good info on the swap. The more I read the more I start thinkin about a turbo on a bone stock block

kapittma
02-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks WS6 many useful hints i didnt know...Can that opti spark be replaced with a newer model? And the tranny is an automatic is it bad that it wont be a 4L60E or is that better?

kapittma
02-02-2005, 12:02 PM
I have another question about the swap...Can i take the whole rear end of the car and swap it i dont know anything about rear end sizes...I would like to have positrac though...

WS6
02-02-2005, 04:24 PM
no either trans is fine really. they are very similar. yours might actually be called the 4L60. no e on the end. but thats really splitting hairs honestly.

the opti spark can be replaced with a vented unti, but thats not really necessary, just be careful with water around it, thats all. there are other options with the ignition system for that car. theres delteq and a couple others i cant think of right now. sorry brain fart. www.ls1tech.com has an lt1 section and www.camaroz28.com is prolly the biggest lt1 board out there.

yes you can always swap the whole rearend for another one with different gear ratios or a posi. but you can also just pull the current one out and have all new guts put in it at a shop. then put it right back in after you paint it first.

awr68
02-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Here's another good site http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/4955/camaro1.html