PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Width

trayb
02-01-2005, 09:49 AM
It's time for me to start looking at some rearends for my 2 69's. So far I have narrowed the decision down to a Currie 9" or a FAB 9 with Strange center and axels. Both cars will be mini tubbed (one running 18x12's/335 tires and the other runnin 19x12's/345 tires). Just trying to get an idea of what length I should order the narrowed rears. Both cars will be using a custom tubular trukarm suspension that I am designing with the help of a friend that used to build NASCAR cars. Any ideas? I was thinking 55 to 56 inches would be enough????

Fuelie Fan
02-01-2005, 02:00 PM
There was another thread recently about the desired amount of backspacing to ease the load on your axle bearings. I think the consensus was to have the bearing near the center of the tire patch (?) which would require some positive offset to allow for the axle flange. Anyways, find that that thread, or maybe whoever posted that will confirm it. Once you have your wheels and wheel location (how much clearance you want between your tire and fender lip), as well as information about distance from axle bearing to wheel mounting flange (from the axle supplier) you should easily be able to determine your axle width from that.