PDA

View Full Version : Duels not sounding good enough to me. whats going on?

deeboe78
03-15-2008, 05:53 AM
I just recently put a duel pipe exst system on my car. yeah its better on Gas Mileage and all but its not giving me that :seizure: feel. Other cars hondas etc. with aftermarket mufflers are still passing my me sounding better than mine. I got the whole package for 275. the mufflers are sound masters, a replica of floor masters. I think I made a bad move with that. What do you guys think? What mufflers do you all reccommend?

Thanks

SSG D

GTOnate
03-15-2008, 05:56 AM
off brand mufflers not smart also what kind of tubing is it? Stainless sounds the best imo I would have spent more money. Also I have never heard a honda that sounded good...

deeboe78
03-15-2008, 07:40 AM
They are stainless, the mufflers sucks though, what kind of mufflers should I get then? flowmasters?

Damn True
03-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Duels?

You mean like Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

streetk14
03-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Alright buddy, lets see if I can help. I'm super picky about how my cars sound and I've messed around with the exhaust a few times.

what kind of car, what motor (modifications and HP), what tubing size on the exhaust system, headers, and is there any kind of crossover pipe? I've never heard of "sound masters" and I doubt they are stainless if the system cost $275.

A good aluminized 2.5" rear-exit system with an H or X-pipe should sound great when paired with a good set of mufflers. I've always loved the sound of Flowmasters, but some people don't. If you have room, go with the larger 50 series Delta Flows. They are a little more mellow but have that "growl" that Flowmasters are famous for.

I myself have a 2.5" stainless system with an X-pipe and Flowmaster Hushpower II mufflers. It sounds great behind my blown LS1. Here's the dyno video so you can hear it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R9sciUCPoS4

Andy

streetk14
03-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Reminds me of that "got Milk" commercial from way back. :rotfl:

Duels?

You mean like Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

deeboe78
03-15-2008, 06:28 PM
alright... alright... enough with the jokes lol, i believe the motor is a 350

the only upgrade I put on is just a KnN filter. plus the the pipes. Need new headers and everything. all pics of my car is in the multimeda fourm. give me the run down on evey part you would put in that motor to sound strong

thanks

GTOnate
03-15-2008, 06:45 PM
You believe it is a 350? lol well a cam is what really makes a motor sound mean... when I sit at a light people always ask "does that have a blower?" lol I do have a noisy timing gear I guess it would sound similar to someone who doesn't really know much. Ew what I hate is when they ask if my belts are bad though!!! Oh well, oh yeah, headers, high-flow cats, and some better mufflers will make a HUGE difference.

GTOnate
03-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Alright buddy, lets see if I can help. I'm super picky about how my cars sound and I've messed around with the exhaust a few times.

what kind of car, what motor (modifications and HP), what tubing size on the exhaust system, headers, and is there any kind of crossover pipe? I've never heard of "sound masters" and I doubt they are stainless if the system cost $275.

A good aluminized 2.5" rear-exit system with an H or X-pipe should sound great when paired with a good set of mufflers. I've always loved the sound of Flowmasters, but some people don't. If you have room, go with the larger 50 series Delta Flows. They are a little more mellow but have that "growl" that Flowmasters are famous for.

I myself have a 2.5" stainless system with an X-pipe and Flowmaster Hushpower II mufflers. It sounds great behind my blown LS1. Here's the dyno video so you can hear it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R9sciUCPoS4

Andy
Hey Andy, that does sound nice, even in youtube mono sound lol. I need some new pics and video of my 80 Z28.

streetk14
03-16-2008, 11:07 AM
It sounds lime we are dealing with a stock, low-compression 350 (?) with just a set of performance mufflers. I wouldn't expect this to sound too mean myself.

You need some compression, some cam and headers for starters. A set of aftermarket aluminum heads certainly couldn't hurt either. Do you want it to just sound good, or run good too? Unfortunatley, an exhaust system can only do so much for you on a stock motor. FWIW, Flowmasters usually do the best job of making a mild motor sound mean.

I can tell you a little story from an experience I had about 8 years ago:

At the time I had a low-compression late 80's era roller cam motor in my '68 Camaro. It had a nice ZZ2 crate motor hydraulic roller cam with stock iron heads (large combustion 76cc chambers I'm sure) a set of headman headers and a 2.5" exhaust with 2 chamber Flowmasters and an H pipe. It also had a Performer RPM intake and 750 carb. It had a nice lope at idle thanks to the cam, but really didn't perform that well in part to my 2.73 rear gears and low-stall speed converter (I was 18 at the time).

I drove it like this for a while, then had the funds to upgrade to a set of Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads with 64cc chambers. All I did was install these and a set of roller rockers, and HOLY CRAP. We thought something was wrong with it when we started the motor. The entire sound had changed, probably from the 1 full point gained in compression and free-flowing heads. The exhaust just had this "pop" to it that it did not have before. Needless to say, I had a huge grin on my face during the first test drive after the install.

What we learned that day was that you really need to match your engine combo properly, and that doing so will result in excellent results. My heads were the missing link in a great engine, and just swapping them made that engine come to life.

I wouldn't be worried about the sound of your motor itself, I'd concentrate on making power. If you put together a good performing engine, the sound will follow. Don't just slap in a cam to try and make the engine sound more agressive, you won't be happy with the result.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Andy

streetk14
03-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey Andy, that does sound nice, even in youtube mono sound lol. I need some new pics and video of my 80 Z28.

Thanks, doesn't sound like an LS series motor, does it? The best part is the blower whine as soon as you get into the throttle half way or more.

deeboe78
03-16-2008, 05:05 PM
thanks Andy for the good advice. I was looking at buying a elderbrock carb for my car. I must admit I am a newby. I know its relevent huh? lol
Thats cool I just came back from Iraq not too long ago and always wanted to build and restore my dream car. I bought it and Im excited. Hey you got start somewhere. Andy give me a a run down on the parts recommend. Not really that smart on all the performannce parts out there.

Thanks

SSG D

streetk14
03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
thanks Andy for the good advice. I was looking at buying a elderbrock carb for my car. I must admit I am a newby. I know its relevent huh? lol
Thats cool I just came back from Iraq not too long ago and always wanted to build and restore my dream car. I bought it and Im excited. Hey you got start somewhere. Andy give me a a run down on the parts recommend. Not really that smart on all the performannce parts out there.

Thanks

SSG D

No worries, I'm glad to be of help. I think I asked this before, but what kind of car is this? I need to know this before I start making recommendations.

I know the feeling about getting your dream car, and we all have to start somewhere. I REALLY WANTED a 1st gen Camaro when I was in high school, and the only way I could afford one when I bought my first one was to get a torn-apart, primered rolling chassis that was sitting in a friend's backyard. Almost 10 years later I still have that car, and I will never sell it.

Be sure to check out some of the good car magazines (Chevy High Performance, Popular Hotrodding, Super Chevy, Car Craft, etc.). You will learn a lot by reading and even more so by messing around and having fun with your car.

Andy

deeboe78
03-18-2008, 04:38 AM
Its a 70 chevelle SS clone. I have pics of it in the multimedia fourm. The motor doesnt run bad at all. I drove it to ATL and back a numerous amount of times. Im now stationed in South Carolina, and there are not to many vinatage car esthusist here. So getting smart here on cars is kind of tough. This car has potential and the motor too. I just want to free all the ponies I can in here and make the motor nice on the eyes with chrome fabrications and all. The only money I put in it so far was a KnN filter and new valve gaskets, and off offcourse the exaust pipes.

Thanks for all the replies, believe guys I need it LOL

Oh yeah Im wanting BOTH the car to run good and Sound mean

thanks

SSG D

whytry
03-18-2008, 09:47 AM
From my past experiences I have had several different setups on my Camaro. When I had a SBC I had everything from dual 2.5" turndowns to mandel bent 2.5" with X-pipe and Magnaflows with Flowmaster tailpipes and it sounded completely different. If you want to increase the sound make it louder and sound meaner swap out your mufflers to something like Ultraflo's..... Pretty aggressive sounding from what I remember. I was in your shoes at one point too, wanted it to sound mean, but then I discovered as you are it takes more than just pipes and mufflers to get it to sound down right nasty... Good luck.

And thanks for serving our country!!

deeboe78
03-18-2008, 06:25 PM
thanks its always my pleasure to serve. Just hope Im home long enough to enjoy my car LOL! Yeah you're right about what you said about me discovering man thanks. how much do the ultraflo's run?

Thanks SSG D

GTOnate
03-18-2008, 07:48 PM
SSG D, you Army?

Johnny Blaze
03-19-2008, 07:42 AM
SOme good referance material that will really help you along;

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Performance-Blocks-Budget-Design/dp/1884089348/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205941094&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/John-Lingenfelter-Modifying-Chevy-Engines/dp/155788238X/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205941094&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Books-HP1029-Rebuild-Chevys/dp/B000PI6X4Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1205941094&sr=8-15

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Pro-Touring-Street-Machines-Design/dp/1884089763/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205941267&sr=8-1

whytry
03-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Here's a link to the one's I used to have. Summit has them for about $110 ea. But if you seach around you can probably find some used on places like racingjunk, yellow bullet, etc...

Good luck!

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D17272&N=700+400358+302012+4294891681+4294791974+42947919 75+4294906131+4294906122+115&autoview=sku

deeboe78
03-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks. Yeah nate Im Army. Wsup?

deeboe78
04-10-2008, 02:38 AM
anyone else want to elorborate? I want to by cam, heads etc, just need to know what to go with

thanks