PDA

View Full Version : MIG tank size ???

67 455 Bird ragtop
02-01-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm thinking of switching my welder over from flux to MIG. It has the regulator and such. My question is what is a good size for a gas tank for a person who doesn't do much welding to use? I will probably only use this for tacking a few body panels and brackets. Nothing major. I want to make sure I have enough gas without going overboard. I have my welder on a cart that has a place for a tank so I can wheel the setup where I need it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

68protouring454
02-01-2005, 09:54 AM
hey, i would reccomend a 60, its about 2.5 ft tall or so and will last you awhile, cost to refill is around 25 bucks, probaly last you 6 months, but i would not go smaller as if you do a bunch of welding you will run out
jake

SShep71
02-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Jake is right, a 60 is perfect for the "occasional heavy use MIG" purpose. I wish I could get away with the smaller bottles, not for all the welding I get to do. Another thing I consider is getting a mix gas. I know that is kinda obvious, but some people just get plain argon. A 98% argon 2% Oxyagen mix is a good idea for semi dirty weld area, and it also aids in controling the heat transfer. Talk to your welding supply store, make sure you explain what you are gonna be welding (It makes a difference!!)

-Shep

68protouring454
02-02-2005, 05:32 AM
i like to run c-25 for all my steel welding, works real nice in most conditions from rusty exhaust to prepped clean sheet metal, goodluck
jake