PDA

View Full Version : Pin Hole Rust Repair

KillerWolf
03-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm comming to the knowledge well for some suggestions. I just got my Cuda back from the blasters, only to find some pinhole rust in a couple areas I was completely unaware of. I am removing the quarter extensions & replacing 1 rear 1/4 patch.

As you can see in the attatchment, I have pinholes in my L 1/4. The steel is all still very solid & now rust free.
What I would to do is:
1. Cover the surface with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator (or Rust Bullet, any opinions on whats better?)
2. cover the inside with fiberglass mat & resin for increased strength
3. work the outside of 1/4 w/ poly filler as normal.

I have used fiberglass mat & resin w/ good success in the past (rust free for over 10 yrs) I just wanted some input from others on this. I know ideally I should replace the steel, but the holes extend beyond where a patch would cover & I really don't see replacing an entire 1/4 for some pin holes.

Also, I'd like to hear from those who have used Eastwood Rust Encapsulator vs. Rust Bullet. I am going to use an undercoating gun & get inside all the panels to seal it all up.

The car is currently bare steel in a heated garage. It should stay rust free but I want to get covered pretty soon. Can I cover the entire car & then work the filler over the primer or will I have to grind those areas back down (I figure damn near the whole car will wind up skim coated so I don't know if that's feasable).

What is the best primer to use for adhesion & durability?
Do you think I should do the undercarriage, trunk, interior, window channels, etc. in Rust Bullet?
What is the best way to ensure the un dercarriage stays rust free (I don't really want to use rubberized under coating (bed liner would be great but I have no idea on $$$)

As you'll see in the pics, I've got alot of sugery to do. I just want to make sure that the rust will not return.

Thanx for the input guys,
scotty

oestek
03-14-2008, 07:10 AM
Killer -

I really think you should replace the steel... those are a little bigger than pinholes, and you're going to have problems with it coming back. Especially the rear window area. Being in the Chicago area, maybe call Jeff Schwartz and see what they'd charge just to do those areas... get some quotes... it's going to be a much better repair and will make you rest easier knowing you're not relying on liquid bodywork to fill holes.

wedgehead
03-14-2008, 08:16 AM
remember the little holes are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to rust all the surrounding area is eaten away also. Just replace the panel and rest easy that it will not rear its ugly head later when the paint is on.

redfire69
03-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Definitely replace metal w/metal, even for pinholes. You can fab a patch panel just big enough to replace what's necessary. Good luck!

70bird
03-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Until I saw the pics I was going to suggest trying to close the holes with little spot welds, but you are way past that point.
As others have mentioned, metal replacement is the way to go.

Think about it, you spent good money to have the car blasted so it would be done properly. Don't cut corners here, you will regret it later.

KillerWolf
03-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanx for the input. Just to be clear, the only place i was going to glass was the 1/4 panel. Any input on which rust paint is best?

thanx,
scotty

Taylor1969
03-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I wouldnt suggest painting over that... a good test is to tap the holes with a pick hammer... you will see that it goes right through there. Don't they sell patches for a cuda?

indyjps
03-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Could use lead, but patching in the areas is the best option.

GTOnate
03-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I concur with the others. Those holes are too big, just order a new quarter and be done with it.

67goatman455
03-16-2008, 06:10 AM
i cant view the pictures, but since the whole car is bare steel it will start to have surface rust very soon, and every place you have touched the steel with your bare hands will also start to have surface rust. i would spray the entire vehicle with a good quality epoxy primer. it is very durable, keeps moisture out, it self-etches, and its the only primer you can put plastic body filler over. just scuff the area first. oh, and clean the entire car with a degreaser for auto body use, and use lint free towels.

KillerWolf
03-17-2008, 05:36 AM
i cant view the pictures, but since the whole car is bare steel it will start to have surface rust very soon, and every place you have touched the steel with your bare hands will also start to have surface rust. i would spray the entire vehicle with a good quality epoxy primer. it is very durable, keeps moisture out, it self-etches, and its the only primer you can put plastic body filler over. just scuff the area first. oh, and clean the entire car with a degreaser for auto body use, and use lint free towels.

I will be replacing both quarter sections, as I found suitable patches.
Thanks for advice on the epoxy primer. I will be painting it very soon.

thanx,
scotty

67goatman455
03-18-2008, 04:27 PM
good that you found them, the more you replace the better

your welcome,
scott.....without the y