PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust idea?

1976SR71
01-31-2005, 04:13 PM
With all the mods I will doing on the Trans Am..I will have to do a custom exhaust.
An idea I have is to use 2 of these mufflers after the X-pipe.
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=266020&prmenbr=361
Since it will be a 3-link... That will free up the space where the rear of the leafs would be I could hang a pair of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33636&item=7951397342&rd=1
Do you think this will be enough to quiet a big block?
Is it to ricer???
LMK Thanx,

WS6
01-31-2005, 05:57 PM
i think the 350z mufflers will be too ricey. i love the splitter tips that came on late second gen TAs a lot. on that note the 76 tips or maybe its earlier look awsome too. the ones that come straight back and have a slash cut. the longer the muffler the more itll quiet the engine usually. also the further back from the engine the quieter itll be typically. turbos have a quiet rumble sound to them until you nail it. cats even hi flow cats will quiet it and give it a smoother sound as well, but thatll jack the cost up too.

whatever you do, dont get ripped off like the owner of the 78 TA thats on the cover of high performance pontiac. that exhaust should not have cost anywhere near $4500, even with coating the whole system. $1100 tips? no way, you can get stainless 3in tips that are very much like stock wont even cost that much.

1976SR71
01-31-2005, 06:08 PM
I read that article too....
I think that guy is just full of B.S.
If he paid what he said for most of that stuff...He deserved to get ripped off... :hammer:
Boy am I glad I have skills, I will be doing everything except for the paint on my car.
My car will be every bit as nice for less than half of what he claims he spent..
I will be doing a full 3" 304 stainless exhaust...Probably have $1000 total in it.

WS6
01-31-2005, 07:41 PM
dont know if you have know of one or not, but there are places that do custom mandrel bent exhaust. im in north georgia. athens to be exact. random technology will do custom exhaust work, but im sure theres a wait as its not what they do everyday. theres also a place in marrieta(atlanta) that does custom work only. a customer of mine had both his 69 vette done and his blazer done by these people. the vette exhaust only has a few sections to it compared to that 78 and fits excellent. the only thing i can say they did "wrong" is that with automatic C3s the trans xmember is removable. they didnt leave the pipe where it could be seperated. so when we dropped the xmember to get the trans out we had to take the whole exhaust system with it. other than that it looks very nice. the welds are nice and smooth too. so if its worth it to you, id say try and find someone who will bend a custom exhaust for you, not use mandrel sections and peice them together like that 78 appeared to have done to it.

zbugger
01-31-2005, 08:10 PM
Those 350Z mufflers are worth a shot, actually. I've heard a set on a V6 Camaro and it didn't sound all that bad. It should give you a throaty sound. Not all that quiet though. Wanna test it for us?