PDA

View Full Version : recco's for conv frame stiffening GM a-body?

GoldHawg
03-08-2008, 08:59 AM
All--
I have a 71 Cutlass conv w/a pretty rusty frame. I have a replacement convertible boxed frame that is much more solid, that I will shortly get media blasted then powder coated. I will probably then store the frame for a couple of years until I have the time to remove and replace--but I want to go ahead and get the frame done now to help preserve it and I have a place convenient to get it done. The question I have is there anything else that I should do to stiffen the frame prior to getting it powdercoated? I will ultiimately be keeping the 4 link rear suspension w/nicer performance control arms, and I want to preserve all stock exhaust options (so things like the HTH suspension are out). Any simple things that really make a difference?

Thx for any thoughts, pics or links really appreciated.

7TSS
03-08-2008, 09:29 AM
One thing that a lot of guys do is to fully weld the frame. The factory didn't weld the seams all the way. They just welded a few inches at various locations. Some guys even re-do the factory welds if they look marginal.

GoldHawg
03-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Thx...I saw a recent episode on Musclecar TV that redid factory welds. Sounds like a good idea; I'll hit it w/my MIG. I also planned on adding a plate onto each of the jacking positions. Previously I've had some of the smaller jacks actually bending the frame slightly when jacking--so I'll beef those areas up. Just wondering if there is anything else.

Thx again.

64Chevelle
03-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Maybe triangulate it a litte? Something like this: http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=10568&page=4

GoldHawg
03-11-2008, 05:54 PM
That is a really nice add..but was a bit more adventurous than I had in mind. I was thinking a bit less. ARe there any preformed kits to beef it up that I could buy and weld in?

thx!

muthstryker
03-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I have an email to a guy that makes a weld in frame boxing kit for none convert frames, you may want to send him an email for some pictures and what not and see what he has to say, give me about 10 mins and i will post it up..

muthstryker
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
[email protected]

dhutton
03-13-2008, 07:58 AM
I have an email to a guy that makes a weld in frame boxing kit for none convert frames, you may want to send him an email for some pictures and what not and see what he has to say, give me about 10 mins and i will post it up..

I've sent email to that guy twice in the past three weeks with no reply. Is he still selling those A body frame boxing kits?

Thanks,
Don

muthstryker
03-13-2008, 01:12 PM
thats odd, i just talked to him a week ago.. yes hes selling the boxing kits and they are cheaper now then they were a year ago, i think they are down to 270$s, for the "pro-touring" kit

dhutton
03-13-2008, 02:17 PM
thats odd, i just talked to him a week ago.. yes hes selling the boxing kits and they are cheaper now then they were a year ago, i think they are down to 270$s, for the "pro-touring" kit

Do you have a name and number for him?

Thanks,
Don

muthstryker
03-13-2008, 11:20 PM
his name is doug I will see if i can find his number in my email

GoldHawg
03-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Found this cool site today outlining frame upgrades for a chevelle wagon, has some good ideas:
http://einstyn.com/einstyn-hardtop-02.htm

Two questions for those that review this link. First, do you think the sway bar mount is a good idea? Doesn't seem like it would hurt anything, but I wouldn't think that those mounts fail--but what do I know. The 2nd question, I had planned on just grinding the rust away on the body bushing mounts, and then welding the new washers on top. I wouldn't have thought the slight increase in height would make that much difference. And w/rubber bushings, one could always tighten the bolts down a couple more threads. Is his approach really necessary? Thx for any thoughts.