PDA

View Full Version : Look what showed up today!

camcojb
01-31-2005, 10:41 AM
I have invoice #1!!!!!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/01/shrifter20001-1.jpg

This is the new paddle shifter from Twist Machine (http://www.twistmachine.com/) that allows manual up and downshifts with fingertip control. Works on any 4L60E, 4L80E, and AOD-E computer-controlled trannies. This is going to be a LOT of fun! :drive:

Thanks Steve!

Jody

LIL QIK
01-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Man I've been looking at those...........I wish they'd make one to operate a solenoid or two to operate the shifter on the tranny........I'm going to be running the 200r4 on my twin turbo.......

I've been thinking about running the electronic trannies........just feel better about the 200r...........

That thing looks sweet though........and bound to be a lot of fun.

Congrats

ZZ430
01-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Jody, that is so cool I can't stand it! :seizure:

Zefhix
01-31-2005, 12:38 PM
It looks like Batman's belt buckle...I can't wait to get mine. :drool:

airrj1
01-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Mmmmm, Purdy. :kewlpics:

MoeBawlz
01-31-2005, 02:49 PM
oh i want one.... oh sooo bad....

MuscleRodz
01-31-2005, 03:08 PM
I think my next car will be an automatic. :icon996:

Mike

FSTFBDY
01-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Looks nice. I found this site because of that site..

I seen on the site they say Its best to use it with the TCI T-COM because of the programing of the 4l60e tannys. and that if you don't use the t-com and you splice the harness you voild the warrenty etc.

are They ANY advantages with T-COM over me using Tunercat for all my programing?

Larry Callahan
01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Too cool! I think I might get one even though I an running a 6 speed. It looks so cool I just have to find something to run with it. Maybe turn signals? lol

zbugger
01-31-2005, 05:54 PM
That's awesome Jody!!! I can't wait to see it installed. One thing though, in the pic, its upside down.

camcojb
01-31-2005, 05:57 PM
That's awesome Jody!!! I can't wait to see it installed. One thing though, in the pic, its upside down.

:rotfl:

zbugger
01-31-2005, 07:18 PM
Okay then, that's better.

Steve1968LS2
01-31-2005, 08:03 PM
I have invoice #1!!!!!

Jody

Cool deal.. I have invoice #3 :)

We will be doing the install for an upcoming issue of PHR. We ordered up the T-Com unit today.

Did yours come with any instructions? Not that I read instructions but it would be nice ;)

I was reading the specs on the T-Com.. that is one piece of equipment!

The Shrifter seems to be very well made, can't wait to get it installed and slap around some gears.

This would be VERY cool combined with GM's new 6L80 6 speed auto trans! :bananna2:

camcojb
01-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Steve,

They faxed me a couple pages. I can scan them and e-mail them to you if you'd like.

Jody

Steve1968LS2
01-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Steve,

They faxed me a couple pages. I can scan them and e-mail them to you if you'd like.

Jody

That would be very cool, Thanks :)

[email protected]

Did you order up your T-Com yet?

camcojb
01-31-2005, 09:21 PM
I'll get it to you tonight Steve. I haven't ordered my T-Com yet; holding out in hopes that John Meaney gets it incorporated in my Big Stuff 3 in time for Power Tour, then I will not need the T-Com. Already got him to put a boost controller in it to eliminate one extra box.

Jody

Steve Chryssos
02-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Cool deal.. I have invoice #3 :)

We will be doing the install for an upcoming issue of PHR. We ordered up the T-Com unit today.
Did yours come with any instructions? Not that I read instructions but it would be nice

Steve,
Your Shrifter had to be shipped to the MPMC show in L.A. before the instructions were complete. Please send me an email so that I can reply to you with a pdf file attached.

Installation doesn't get any easier:
1) Replace aftermarket steering wheel hub with the Shrifter.
2) Plug electronics into trans computer.
3) Supply +12V and Ground.

camcojb
02-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Steve,
Your Shrifter had to be shipped to the MPMC show in L.A. before the instructions were complete. Please send me an email so that I can reply to you with a pdf file attached.

Installation doesn't get any easier:
1) Replace aftermarket steering wheel hub with the Shrifter.
2) Plug electronics into trans computer.
3) Supply +12V and Ground.

I forwarded the pdf file you sent to me over to Steve last night. He's got it now.

Jody

Steve Chryssos
02-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks Jody,
BTW, Check out UPRacing.com (http://www.upracing.com/) for a great selection and good price on Sparco and Momo steering wheels. Any 350mm wheel will work great with the Shrifter.

Steve1968LS2
02-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks Jody,
BTW, Check out UPRacing.com (http://www.upracing.com/) for a great selection and good price on Sparco and Momo steering wheels. Any 350mm wheel will work great with the Shrifter.

Thanks guys! :)

I will be ordering a Momo steering wheel tomorrow so I will check that site out. I just put in a request for the T-Com, might as well have two of them, so as soon as it gets here we will be ready to do the install article.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Awesome, Jody!! I think I too am switching from a T56 to a shrifter. The cost factor is just too great not to do it. The shrifter, t-com, and tranny costs about half the price of a G-force modded T56, twin disc clutch, and all necessary hardware and installation kits. Not to mention simplicity. Ever since I saw the prototype shrifter in Steevo's car over a year ago, and got a chance to get a feel for the paddles, the gears in my head have been turning.

Steve1968LS2
02-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Awesome, Jody!! I think I too am switching from a T56 to a shrifter. The cost factor is just too great not to do it. The shrifter, t-com, and tranny costs about half the price of a G-force modded T56, twin disc clutch, and all necessary hardware and installation kits. Not to mention simplicity. Ever since I saw the prototype shrifter in Steevo's car over a year ago, and got a chance to get a feel for the paddles, the gears in my head have been turning.

Well we ordered up the T-Com at PHR so everyone that wants to do this should have a nice how-to article to draw from on it.

After all, thats what is all about right? :)

Ralph LoGrasso
02-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Well we ordered up the T-Com at PHR so everyone that wants to do this should have a nice how-to article to draw from on it.

After all, thats what is all about right? :)

It certainly is :). I look forward to reading the article.

Steve1968LS2
02-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Note: I might have an extra T-Com TCI controller for sale. I had bought one for the install and it looks like I am being provided on by TCI (note: great people to deal with) for the install story in PHR.

Steve1968LS2
02-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Awesome, Jody!! I think I too am switching from a T56 to a shrifter.

Sorry to be a post pig on this but I just wrote a story on GM's new 6L80 six speed auto trans..

How cool would that be??? :yum:

Conekiller13
02-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Although I like the idea of the padle shifting...........it's still a slush box. Having done track days with an automatic (allbeit a TH350) I wouldn't go with another unless it was a paddle shifted manual I.E. Ferrari's F-1 system. If the Shrifter system would work wit a gear vendors unit to give 6 speeds or more and the shift timne could be reduced to .005 milliseconds, that would be cool. Just My $.02.......I'm a unique and special idividual. :geek:

Steve Chryssos
02-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Cones,
Electric shift solenoids. I've got shift times down as low as a .2 sec. depending on which gear change we're talkin about. The Shrifter's wireless electronics account for about .125 sec of that time. I've gone and lenghtened shifts to match various circumstances where "slip" is more desirable. Depending on rpm, throttle position, etc., very few shifts should be set on "kill". Most circumstances call for a transitional (the equivalent of slipping the clutch).

In the olds days, you grabbed a shifter which pulled on a cable which overcame a detent which..well, you get the idea. The whole process was hydro-mechanical. Slushbox.

Now if you grab the floor (mechanical) shifter on an electronically controlled trans that still has the factory calibration it may seem like a slushbox even though it has electric shift solenoids because the process is still partially mechanical and the calibration is average.

But what if you eliminate the mechanical shifter from the equation? What if the shift process is entirely electronic such that you approach zero lag shifts? The result is shifts that are way faster than any manual ly shifted gear change (clutch in, change gear, clutch out)

Next, calibrate the trans appropriately so that the line pressure considers throttle position, rpm, etc. what do you have? The days of the slushbox are over.

Agreed. A manu-matic is not nearly as cool as a robotically shifted Magnetti Marrelli F1 or DSG manual trans,

but don't knock it 'til you try it. :drive1: Just picture yourself in oversteer, sawing at the wheel to bring the tail back in line and grabbing a paddle all in one fluid motion. It's a blast.

edited for spelling (I get excited)

nancejd
02-10-2005, 01:09 PM
I sent you a PM about the extra T-Com

Conekiller13
02-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Cones,
Electric shift solenoids. I've got shift times down as low as a .2 sec. depending on which gear change we're talkin about. The Shrifter's wireless electronics account for about .125 sec of that time. I've gone and lenghtened shifts to match various circumstances where "slip" is more desirable. Depending on rpm, throttle position, etc., very few shifts should be set on "kill". Most circumstances call for a transitional (the equivalent of slipping the clutch).

In the olds days, you grabbed a shifter which pulled on a cable which overcame a detent which..well, you get the idea. The whole process was hydro-mechanical. Slushbox.

Now if you grab the floor (mechanical) shifter on an electronically controlled trans that still has the factory calibration it may seem like a slushbox even though it has electric shift solenoids because the process is still partially mechanical and the calibration is average.

But what if you eliminate the mechanical shifter from the equation? What if the shift process is entirely electronic such that you approach zero lag shifts? The result is shifts that are way faster than any manual ly shifted gear change (clutch in, change gear, clutch out)

Next, calibrate the trans appropriately so that the line pressure considers throttle position, rpm, etc. what do you have? The days of the slushbox are over.

Agreed. A manu-matic is not nearly as cool as a robotically shifted Magnetti Marrelli F1 or DSG manual trans,

but don't knock it 'til you try it. :drive1: Just picture yourself in oversteer, sawing at the wheel to bring the tail back in line and grabbing a paddle all in one fluid motion. It's a blast.

edited for spelling (I get excited)

Well Steve............I think I would have to try it to want to trade in My T-56. It's also a ratio thing and I just enjoy rowing the gears.......I think I'd be one of those wierdo's Who would opt to not get the F1 option in My Ferrari.........or maybe I'd buy one of each. :naughty: :icon996: :Alchy:

Steve Chryssos
02-11-2005, 06:17 AM
Yeah. It's not for everyone. And I love rowing gears, too. But I heard on 5th Gear (luv that show) that F1 shift option sales are approaching 90%. Would like to find info on Porsche's Tiptronic to Manual sales ratio.
And I wonder what Formula One would look like if evryone BUT Shumey were allowed to run a robotic trans. :hmm:

Never mind. He'd still run away and hide.

Steve Chryssos
02-11-2005, 07:02 AM
According to someone far more knowledgeable and connected than me:

"Porsche says that fully 25%-30% of cars sold in the US have Tiptronics. I didn't think to ask, but presumably that doesn't include Cayennes, which I think come only with automatics.

Conekiller13
02-11-2005, 07:20 AM
Now of course if We're talking actuall F-1 cars............I wouldnt want to be bothered with taking My hands off the wheel in a 4g side load! Here's My impression of Schuey and his "competition"......... :bicycle:
2005 season almost here!!!!!!!!!!

Steve1968LS2
02-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Now of course if We're talking actuall F-1 cars............I wouldnt want to be bothered with taking My hands off the wheel in a 4g side load! Here's My impression of Schuey and his "competition"......... :bicycle:
2005 season almost here!!!!!!!!!!

F1 has become a contest for 2nd place.. 1st place is mostly a done deal..

My wife and I love F1.. try to never miss a race :)

As for the Shrifter.. just wait till the 6L80 trans comes out.. :yum:

jeffandre
02-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Just from looking at the basic pics it look slike the sharp or pointed areas could get ya in panic or quick-responsive situations. I have not seen one so this may not be an issue, just something to think about. I know I have had my hands flying all over the wheel in undesirable situations and it looks like I would have had difficulty maintaining control without hitting the pointy parts.

Conekiller13
02-11-2005, 10:11 AM
F1 has become a contest for 2nd place.. 1st place is mostly a done deal..

My wife and I love F1.. try to never miss a race :)

:

Who here besides Me on the west coast gets up at 4:00am on Sundays to watch the European rounds live?

Steve1968LS2
02-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Who here besides Me on the west coast gets up at 4:00am on Sundays to watch the European rounds live?

My wife and I :)

We used to go down to the place in Newport on PCH(the one shaped like a big race car) but it's gone now..

So we just flip on the big screen and turn up the volume!!

Steve Chryssos
02-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Just from looking at the basic pics it look slike the sharp or pointed areas could get ya in panic or quick-responsive situations. I have not seen one so this may not be an issue, just something to think about. I know I have had my hands flying all over the wheel in undesirable situations and it looks like I would have had difficulty maintaining control without hitting the pointy parts.

Jeff,
Good feedback. In fact, I'm surprised that you are the first to comment. The paddles may look sharp in photos but there are actually quite blunt. Paddles are 1/8" thick with rounded and smoothed edges.
Perhaps Steve Rupp, Jody Bernard, or Howard Tanner can confirm.

Additionally, two more paddles designs will be available in a two weeks. This design is called Shark.

The other two are:
Sport: Kinda geometric and trapezoidal.
Stealth: Hidden entirely by the rim of a 14" steering wheel.