PDA

View Full Version : TKO 600 vs. Rich 6 speed

pro68/540
01-31-2005, 02:04 AM
Ive just bought a 68 camaro and im going to minitub it with DSE and run 17x12 w/315 rears on it. Im putting in my mild 540bbc 10to1 should be around 650 HP and gobs of torque. My question is which tranny would be better for my application. I will also be running a scattershield for safty. The 6 speed can use stock linkage, the 5 speed uses a hydraulic clutch which 1 of those would be better. A little feedback plz im new here.
Thank You
68pro/540

dhardison
01-31-2005, 06:28 AM
The TKO-600 can also be used with stock mechanical linkage. IMHO stock linkage gives a better "feel" than hydraulic, but that's just personal preference. What applications will you be using the car for? crusing only? auto-cross? other type of racing?

Dan

dennis68
01-31-2005, 06:50 AM
Why do you think the TKO600 requires use of hydraulic linkage? The TKO will work perfectly with the stock linkage, and is a far better transmission. Call Richmond and ask thier tech guys how many 6-speeds (as if they would actually tell you) how many come back for warranty overhauls. Then ask them how much they are going to charge you to overhaul it (last I checked they won't sell you a O/H kit). I runs about 1500 to build and you will need to do it at least annually with a 540" in front of it.

Oh, and like a good Harley they leave their mark on the pavement wherever they go. I've never seen one that didn't leak.

pro68/540
01-31-2005, 06:56 AM
SWEET i didnt realize i can use stock linkage with the tko600. Can i also use a stock bellhousing (mccloud scattershield)?
The car is just going to be a super clean street beast (topend car) looking to play with vettes and vipers.

dhardison
01-31-2005, 06:57 AM
Dunno about the McCloud, but I used a Lakewood without problems. Also, I agree with Denny that the TKO is a better, more reliable trans.

Dan

dhardison
01-31-2005, 06:59 AM
Sorry, I meant McLeod.

Dan

dennis68
01-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Stock bellhousing will work fine although a scattershield is the better option.

rocketrod
01-31-2005, 09:56 AM
A friend of mine had a Richmond 6 speed in front of a 540 dynoed at 720hp. And like previous posts he had several problems, can't remember the details, with the trans and eventually sent it back to Richmond for a complete rebuild at no charge. Richmond themseves told him their trans was not designed to handle that much power.

Rod

ZZ430
01-31-2005, 10:20 AM
I've been running the Richmond 6 for about 5 years now behind my ZZ430 clone in a 67 Camaro convertible.

The first one I got had a problem......it jumped out of 6th gear......brand new out of the crate......I wasn't happy, but they sent me a "Blueprinted" replacement built by their "best man".....I talked to the right guy on the phone and calmly explained the situation. They sent it to me with prepaid return shipping for my "core". Of course this was after jumping through the normal corporate hoops, like the first calls I made to them I got the "What did you do wrong?" questions, and even removed it and double checked the bellhousing alignment.

The new one is great......I hear a lot of complaining about the hard shifting from other ROD owners, but this one shifts like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

Granted, my motor makes only 430 ftlbs, but it's still going strong. The gear whine it makes is music to my ears.