PDA

View Full Version : How would i mount a fiberglass front bumper on a 69 camaro??

Project69
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Ive been looking at these and is there any special mounts that i can buy to mount them to the car? Any one have any pictures of a fiberglass mounted to a sheetmetal front end? Thanks

parsonsj
03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I mounted my 'glass bumpers by 'glassing in aluminum threaded bosses. From there, I screwed in studs with loctite and then I fab'ed up the mount to the frame.

jp

Project69
03-04-2008, 04:39 PM
I see that the camaros had a endura bumper made of urethane, i was wondering if i could use the mounts for that with the fiberglass bumper?? Any thoughts, im not capable of sending it a shop to get it custom fitted due to lack of time and money.

flavorwrench
11-25-2008, 01:45 PM
we expoxied wood blocks on the inside contour and used larger style machine/wood screws. If you want to take it further.... fiberglass over the wood block surface... waste of time though... its hidden

ProdigyCustoms
11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
We have just use some little 45 degree aluminum brackets and screwed them to the valance under the bumper. Cant see them.

Jim Nilsen
11-28-2008, 09:32 AM
we expoxied wood blocks on the inside contour and used larger style machine/wood screws. If you want to take it further.... fiberglass over the wood block surface... waste of time though... its hidden

You can also put T nuts (a woodworkers way of putting threads to a block of wood) countersunk in using a speedbore bit from the backside of the block before bonding them on and then you can really tighten then down with regular ,aluminum or plastic bolts with no fear of stripping them or having them come loose.

Wood is good,strong and light along with bonding to fiberglass very easily with epoxy or resin.

indyjps
12-01-2008, 11:51 AM
I helped a friend mount one, just lined up the studs and welded them to a piece of thin flat stock, glassed the flat stock to the inside of the bumper, you dont have to run it the length of the bumper a few inches per on either side will do it. This was on factory mounts, we later bent up some thin wall small diameter round tubing and welded flat mounting plates to it to eliminate some weight

Ive done the same with lift off glass hoods converting them to bolt on, used square PVC tubing cut length wise for the height to fit, built a 3 sided frame, lined it up with the hinges and used a piece of flat steel to weld the bolts, studs to, glassed it into the PVC from behind, glassed the frame to the underside of the hood. used factory hinges, lift the hood open and drill a hole thru both hinge plates, just use your hood pin to pin the hinges open, or buy the lightweight springs, I sold the hood so I have no pics.