PDA

View Full Version : Cutting off in hard cornering

GTOnate
03-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Ok maybe I'm crazy but I believe my engine cutting off is either flooding out or starving what can I do to stop this? What else can cause this? I am tired of it happening! Am I crazy to be thinking about fuel injection? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks, Oh btw chevy small block bored stroked 383, holley 750 double pump

Shaker455
03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Nate,
How did you set your float level?
Jeff

bigvegan
03-03-2008, 07:21 PM
If it's under hard cornering, it could be your fuel tank.

(I read an article on this being an issue with the previous CTS-Vs, and did a quick google search and apparently some BMWs have this as well, so it happens to new cars too.)

Depending on how your tank is designed, if you're cornering hard and have less than 1/4 tank of gas or so, it can slosh away from the fuel line/pump inlet and cause fuel starvation.

Try some hard cornering on a full tank and see if you're still having the same issue, as that's a pretty cheap fix. Then you either need to fill up more regularly or think about adding a baffled gas tank.

Good Luck!

GTOnate
03-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't remember if has done it with a full fuel tank... I will have to give it a try today.

gordonquixote
03-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Shouldn't be the fuel tank. There would still be enought fuel in the carb bowls to keep ot running for a while.

Holley makes a carb for off road and rock crawling that keeps the carb from starving the engine at extreme angles.

Way cheaper than fuel injection.

I am assuming that you are powering through the corner? Sometimes if I get to my driveway after idling down hill, the motor wants to stall because the power steering pump puts the idle over the demand limit if the electric fan is on and the alt is running.

GTOnate
03-13-2008, 07:19 PM
it happens with a full fuel tank too... Dangit couldn't be that easy... it has happened mid throttle going up hill too. what is the off road carb called?

shizzy
03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
did you check the float level? I had the float set wrong on my old Monte carlo back in High School and it would do the same thing if I tossed it too hard in to a turn. check that out before you go and buy a new carb.

oh and what rear gears and tranny are you running with that D-pumper?

chicane67
03-13-2008, 08:24 PM
You dont need an off road carb. You need the right floats and they need to be adjusted correctly.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/63c7_1-1.jpg

David Pozzi
03-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Even with stock floats, a lowered float level really helps. Our 73 Camaro was flooding out with stock float levels, it's not missed a beat after I lowered them. Next step was going to be the floats in the photo above.

Also watch your fuel pressure, we use a mechanical carter street fuel pump which has great capacity but doesn't push the floats too hard.
David

CarlC
03-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I too use the stock floats with the level set just below the hole. No problems.

GTOnate
03-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks, I will try lowering the floats. I have an electric fuel pump. It does the job for now. I am wanting to build a new motor but my wife wants me to build her one first :(

GTOnate
03-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Oh and shizzy it is a stock borg-warner T-4 4speed and 2.41 RE

GTOnate
03-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Prior to this all my cars have been EFI, except my first car, 87 caprice, never had to do anything to it but change the oil and wash it though... retrospectively it was the best car I ever owned.

shizzy
03-16-2008, 06:12 AM
what kind of fuel pump are you running? and at what pressure? do you have a regulator plumbed in? too much pressure could give you troubles as well.

Also with a 2.41 rear gear is that 750 double pumper too much carb?

David Pozzi
03-16-2008, 10:15 AM
IF you haven't set floats before, AND your carb doesn't have rear idle mixture screws, here's a tip.

The floats are set with the engine running. The rear of the carb isn't using fuel, so if you lower the float setting, the float will be pushed down INTO the fuel and the fuel will RISE. The trick is to grab the rear throttle arm and open it slightly to get it to consume some fuel from the bowl. If that doesn't work, try moving the rear accelerator pump lever and pump some fuel out of the bowl so you get an accurate reading.

I set the float levels 1/8" below the hole. Our car has the Demon carb and we use the lower line on the sight glass.

GTOnate
03-18-2008, 08:16 PM
the 2.41 gears are going away. And the fuel pressure is pretty low. I have it set low because any higher with my gearing just seemed to run rich. around 5psi now though. I will attempt to adjust the floats on Thursday. I will let you know how it goes.
Also on a side note, don't eat hot wings from Walmart. I have been sick all day.

Skip Fix
03-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Fuel can slosh out the boosters or vents in hard cornering. You can do the old drag racer vent tube connector trick. Put some fuel line on each one and then cut a slot at the very top.

Lowering the bowl elvel is the only way to reduce booster slosh.

My TA with sticky autocross tires would slosh tranny fluid out the TH 350 vent. So hard corners can slosh alot of stuff.

ZZ4Blazer
04-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Bringing this back. I've had the same problem, and have made a few threads around here already about it.

Nothing's fixed the problem. Braking is even worse. I cannot use my big brakes to their potential because it will easily kill the motor from flooding it. Id have to assume that the gas is being forced out the boosters. Its certainly not coming out the vent tubes, I've tried making a solid extention tube like the holley offroad carb has with no difference.

Other than swapping to an edelbrock style carb, Im gonna be forced to switch to efi eventually.

I might give this a try.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR%2D65221&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Expensive for what it is. With the larger bowl capacity, I might try lowering the fuel level lower without the chance of running it dry.