PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 Replacement

Ricoch3T
01-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Just removing the 1/4 on one side of my car. Everything went smooth till I got to the roof and drip rail. Whats the easiest way to tackles these areas without messing anything up? I eventually got everything out of there but I'ma have to take my small grinder to it to smooth out some spot welds that were left. Just trying to get ideas before i have to do the other side. Not looking forward to the problem again :) Thx for the help~!

Camaro Zach
01-30-2005, 08:10 PM
first thing i did on that was bend the drip rail down slightly, then i drilled out the spot welds and then just got a cut off wheel on my die grinder and used it to grind down on the spot welds untill the piece finally fell out. Hope that helped
Zach

ProdigyCustoms
01-31-2005, 03:13 AM
We go in with a cut off wheel and grind the weld away. it is a long process, but make fo a nice job. You will still have to open it a bit as Zach said to be able to weld it also. We also use a cut off wheel to grind away a lot of the other welds, particulatly in the trunk jam so as not to drill through, also the front edge in the jam and the welds by the striker. This way we do not butcher the original attaching panel

Ricoch3T
01-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the tips.. I ended up tearing a small spot on the bracing underneath the top lip of the 1/4 under the roof skin, fixable but was a pain in the butt.. Right now I've straightened it back out enough to get the cutoff wheel to it to grind it and repair.
Guess I'll just have to take more time in those areas next time and use the cutoff wheel a little more instead of the chisel as you mentioned. This is the first time I've done a Full 1/4 replacement so I'm learning as I go.
Thanks for the help! :icon996: