PDA

View Full Version : 12 bolt questions / right forum I think?? New here so be nice!

mrsupersport
01-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Hello 2 all of you! I have been hiding in the shadows for awhile & now have a question. I have a 68 Chevelle SS I have modified along the PT route but also to perform @ the track. My car is as follows & then the question.
It is a real SS w/ a ZZ502, M20, 3.55 12 bolt posi. It was a non power drum / steering car originally. I have done the following so far:

Global upper & lower w/ tall spindle conversion & 12" brakes & adjustable QA1 shocks ,1 1/4 F body front bar ,9C1 steering box from Caprice cop car, 3" lowering springs from OPG front & rear, Global tubular rear lowers, Edelbrock adjustable uppers & Doetsch shocks.
I am also running 15" wheels / 15x8 front / 15x10 rear.

That is as far as I have gotten. I have a power booster / master & two different rear disc setups. One is based off the RWD Caddy & other is a later F body. Not sure of which year F body though.

Now for the question. I have another 12 bolt housing I want to build w/ 4.10 gears. It's a bare housing now & untouched. It's a 69 housing by the way. I want to build a rear disc w/ c clip eliminators but cannot alter my track width by much / if anything I could go a bit narrower. So I was looking for input on best C clip style. I have a Tom's diff catalog & can get good deals on that stuff but, am looking for input. Also @ the track it gets launched on slicks so strength & bullet proof are concerns. I am gonna do an autogear 5 speed swap when available so gear is not a prob in future.

Thanx, JOHN

Norwoodx55
01-30-2005, 11:39 AM
John, From what I understand, C-clip eliminator kits aren't the best set-up for the street. Apparently leak prone and not as strong under lateral loads. I had Mark Williams cut off the original tube ends and weld on a Ford style housing end.(with the Chevy bolt pattern) No more C-clips and so far no problems. If you go this route, you can go 1/2" narrower to compensate for the added width of the disc brakes. Most chassis shops in your area should be able to do the job and most axle suppliers have the housing ends. This is just what I did, but stay tuned, I'm sure some of the guys with more knowledge will help you out.
Brett

Nova-Mann
01-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Question from another new guy. I plan to use a 12 bolt as well, and I was just starting to research this very combo (c-clip elim. and disk brakes). Do you use the GM axle with an aftermarket bearing, or do you have to replace the axles? Also, who in the Portland, Oregon area is qualified to do this sort of thing? Thanks, Ron.

andrewb70
01-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Strange makes a c-clip eliminator kit that will not leak and offers greater lateral load capacity. I never had any issues with leaking. I used them in conjunction with their axles.

Andrew

SHANE 73Z
01-30-2005, 02:21 PM
mrsupersport,

When going to a disc rear setup the calipers and rotors function a s axle retention so a c-clip eliminator isnt as necessary as for a drum rear car.

As for your rear disc setup. If you are happy with your current front brakes or dont want to change them, you will need to use the WS6/caddy type rear setup to keep the caliper bore sizes correct.

Or you could do like I am. I will be running a rear setup that is similar to the LT1/C4 rear caliper. On the front I am running Stainless Steel Brakes replacement aluminum caliper that has twin 38mm bores (same as front C4) along with the b-body spindle & 1LE rotor. I will be able to run them with whatever everyone else here is running with C4 brakes. You can do a search here for that info.

Take care,
Shane