PDA

View Full Version : cost for body work??

skeeters65
02-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Just curious what you would expect to pay for labor only for the following: on a 1969 Camaro
-Install 2 full quarters
-Install trunk pan
-Install DSE Mini-tub kit
-Install rear tail panel
-Install 1 door shell
-Install all new Front Clip(fenders,inner fenders,hood,grill,front valance,filler panel,front spoiler)
-Install subframe connectors
-Install new trunk lid w/new spoiler
-Fix Minor rust in rockers
-Undercoat bottom of the car
-Do body work to make ready for paint
-Primer
-Paint

Thanks

1973tpi
02-29-2008, 03:06 PM
From a body shop $20,000.00 or more. I did mine myself.https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Smock67
02-29-2008, 03:30 PM
If i were you i would try an do as much of it yourself. Unless of course you have deep pockets. For that much work i've seen it range from a base of 20K to upwards of 40K depending on the shop that does it of course. Hell you can get a 20K paint job so how well do all these things need to be done? Show Quality/trailer queen, Show/ driver quality, driver quality....

As you can see it all depends on how well you want it done.

skeeters65
02-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I want a very nice driver.. Doesnt need to be perfect but I dont want someone to look at it in a parking lot and say WOW did a blind man do that!!

What would a base, mid line and high be?

Thanks

1973tpi
02-29-2008, 05:39 PM
You need a frame off restoration. About 500 man hours. even at $50.00 an hour you are talking $25,000.00 an about 13 weeks Good luck.

skeeters65
02-29-2008, 07:44 PM
500 hours..
You think that is about an average amount of time to do all that work??
Then I can figure from there..

Thanks again

jasonsnova
03-01-2008, 05:20 AM
i own a body shop....id say a minimum of 250-300 hrs....do the math. everyone thinks body work is so over priced but i'll tell you what no one realizes the amount of work it takes. nothing worse than a guy willing to drop 20k into a motor but wanting to pay $2500 to get his body work done! .....its what everyone sees.....dont cut corners, find a good honest reputal shop and take there advice

ZL-1
03-01-2008, 06:45 AM
i own a body shop....id say a minimum of 250-300 hrs....do the math. everyone thinks body work is so over priced but i'll tell you what no one realizes the amount of work it takes. nothing worse than a guy willing to drop 20k into a motor but wanting to pay $2500 to get his body work done! .....its what everyone sees.....dont cut corners, find a good honest reputal shop and take there advice

Amen brother!

Smock67
03-01-2008, 08:01 AM

Couldn't be said better.....

Or do it yourself and prepare for the length of time to be extended

skeeters65
03-01-2008, 08:38 AM

What do you guys charge per hour??
If you dont mind me asking..

Fuelie Nova
03-01-2008, 01:29 PM
I agree with the above comments. I stopped in the body shop to help them on my car for a couple of days. Most people overlook the amount of time and work in what you are asking. The shop my nova is in only does resotrations, they do things right. They charge 60/hour.

Tg

comp-spec
03-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Check us out..www.competition-specialties.com (http://www.competition-specialties.com). Sounds like its a full resto. Most of them new parts are going to need work before they will even fit right for bodywork.Alot depends on exacty what your going to do with rest of the car (subframe, engine bay, etc,..rebuild, paint. sandblasting, install new one, reassembly trim..etc) DSE mini tubb can take around 40-50 hrs and a sand n buff can take 50hrs thats 100 hrs ..... they ad up fast
We do alot of projects like this. I could give you a set price on what your looking for and can turn that car around in about 4 weeks if you have all the parts.
www.competition-specialties.com (http://www.competition-specialties.com)

jasonsnova
03-03-2008, 05:13 AM
well our shop charges $38per/hr on collision stuff and $45 per hr on resto stuff unfortunately like alot of shops nowa days we are pretty much out of the resto end of it because of the amount of time it takes, and people unwilling to pay to do it correctly, and the people who get half into a project then bail on it. belive me i love old cars and there is nothing more of a sense of accomplishment when we finish one it just isnt financially stable for alot of shops now a days