PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen console in 1st gen camaro install ?

130fe
01-30-2005, 06:01 AM
I know several of you have done this swap. I was wondering how did you mount it to the trans tunnel? Did you use the "factory" plate (from donor car) or did you fabricate a piece? Also, did you use the 4th gen ebrake handle? Any info and pictures would be appreciated.

JoshStratton
02-02-2005, 11:54 AM
I was looking for the same thing for my 79 T/A. Granted, your car and my car are completely different. This should help you, and gave me a few ideas.

Check out the 3rd pic down. Seems they did some fabrication to make it fit:

http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast/articles/69camaro/69camarocap19.html

It is the pic with the dude's hands messing with the wiring.

Hopefully this helped you.

You can get the E Brake kits from Lokar. They sell conversion pieces.

Steve1968LS2
02-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Go here and see how they did it:

http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast.asp?enl=1&enlURL=enthusiast/articles/69camaro/69camaro.asp

the 4th gen console is wider than the 1st gen tunnel, its more of an appearance issue. You can see here that the Year One guys welded in some metal so that the carpet would sit right. You could also build out this area in foam (what I am doing) or even use wood and fiberglass.

You can see the metal they welded in here:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Lots of good pics on thier site and a few pics of doing this on my side (as far as brackets go).

Hope this helps..

JoshStratton
02-02-2005, 12:13 PM
As far as the foam goes, I would be worried about moisture getting trapped in there (my car will be a daily driver). I definately like that suggestion more than getting out the welder (much easier for me), but what are your thoughts on that?

Steve1968LS2
02-02-2005, 12:50 PM
As far as the foam goes, I would be worried about moisture getting trapped in there (my car will be a daily driver). I definately like that suggestion more than getting out the welder (much easier for me), but what are your thoughts on that?

Well its high density foam made for interiors. and you could always either coat the hell out of the metal below it with POR15 or you could dynamat it (or both)..

Unless you get a flood in your car it should be NO problem.

CAMAROBOY69
02-03-2005, 05:16 AM
To match my 2002 console I just bought a 2002 dash and they blend together perfect. :lmao: If I had kept the original dash then I would have molded it to the 69 dash with foam, fiberglass, cardboard, wood, or possibly metal. Those are all easy inexpensive methods for molding interior.
I made all my own brackets for the console. Fully adjustable too.
I do not have a hand brake installed but it wouldn't be difficult to do.

68protouring454
02-03-2005, 05:35 AM
interior looks awesome, hows does the console fit on the tranny tunnel on your 69?? does it fit snug the whole way?? maybe if you could get me some pics of each side of the console where it fits good and where it doesn't
jake

CAMAROBOY69
02-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Thanks Jake. I know you are about to attempt something similar with the interior so im sure we will be chatting offline quite a bit.
From what I remember there arent any gaps from front to rear on the console once the carpet is installed. The only place there might be a very tiny gap is the front but it cant be any greater than 1/8" if even that. Ill try to dig up some side views and come back in a few minutes. I had tons of them on "my first website" but it bombed and I lost everything. This is the only side pics I can find right now.

JoshStratton
02-03-2005, 06:38 AM
CamaroBoy...

It looks like the window crank is pretty close to the dash. Do you have any issues with that?

CAMAROBOY69
02-03-2005, 06:43 AM
With the doors closed the window crank does hit the dash. I almost always have my windows down so I can listen to the beautiful sounds of the engine (potato potato) so it doesn't even bother me that. If I want the windows up I just roll them up before I drive. Rolling up windows is soooo old school. I will install power windows eventually but thats the least of my concerns right now.
The pics above quit working so I reinstalled them on another host. Imageshack.us

MStennes
02-04-2005, 12:05 PM
What did you do with the ebrake?

CAMAROBOY69
02-07-2005, 04:57 AM
Sold it on e-bay with the rest of the original dash and electrical.

MStennes
02-07-2005, 08:53 AM
No what I mean is what did you do with the hole/slot? You answered part of my question I was wondering is how did you hook up the 4th gen ebrake but now thats a moot point.
Mike

CAMAROBOY69
02-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Since it is just metal, to cover the hole I welded a piece of sheetmetal where the hole was. I hope that answered your question. You do mean the hole in the floor board correct?

MStennes
02-07-2005, 03:22 PM
isnt there a slot in the console?

68protouring454
02-07-2005, 03:39 PM
adam i think he wants to know if you used the 69 camaro e brake location or if you swapped the cables and made them go to the center console e brake lever that the new camaros have, and if you used the stock 69 location what did you do to the console to cover empty spot of e brake lever
confusing
jake lol

MStennes
02-07-2005, 09:33 PM
thats it, thanks Jake
Mike

CAMAROBOY69
02-08-2005, 04:34 AM
1. Right now I don't have any e-brake at all.
2. I put duct tape over the visible slot... Just kidding....I left the slot in the console so I can install an e-brake later. I will probably install some sort of driveshaft e-brake. I think that would be trick and quite easy to install.

tharber
02-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Any pics of the area between the 4th gen dash and windsheild ? How does this area blend in?

Looks great!

TH

CAMAROBOY69
02-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the compliment. Im not even close to finished with the dash or interior. For the dash to mate with area between the windshield I am probably going to use a piece of sheet metal and some more brackets to hold it down. I need the windshield removed first to make it easier. I will aslo redesign where the heat comes out for the windshield defroster- or I will mold the sheet metal into the old defroster. Not quite sure yet.

Patrolman808
04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Just wondering how hard was it to mount the dash to the firewall? I'm about to start cutting on mine any day.

CAMAROBOY69
04-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Not too bad. 6 Brackets I designed then welded to the body. After a couple mock ups with the dash it bolted right in. You will have the dash in and out at least 4 or 5 times to get it perfect. Well mabey not but I did.

Patrolman808
04-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Have you tried using the late model dash piece that goes from the dash to the windshield in the '69? I have the one that came with my dash, and with some trimming it might be in the ballpark of filling the gap. I decided to use four 2 5/8" Autometer Ultra-Lite's in the a/c vents and am modifying the factory gauge cluster to house the 3 3/8" speedo/tach on the sides and a fuel pressure gauge in the center. If I hadn't ran across pics of your car, I'd probably still have my factory interior. Yours looks really good.

CAMAROBOY69
05-02-2005, 04:00 AM
Thank you for the compliment.
I would have tried that original transition piece for sure if my 2002 dash came with it. I was actually disappointed when I didnt see it but oh well I want to keep the original heater vents anyway and have the new dash adapt to them so I will be using metal for sure.
I am also considering using some Autometer gauges in place of the 2002 gauge cluster. It just seems to be a nightmare to hook up so far without the orignal 2002 computer.

Patrolman808
05-02-2005, 02:49 PM
I've seen the factory gauge cluster used, but the gauges aren't really that accurate anyway. I don't have the patience to even think about using the factory cluster. I've already disassembled mine and cut the inside out to fit the Autometers, and have my aluminum sheet outlined where I need to cut it to fit. I think it'll look better anyway.

scogin918
05-02-2005, 04:16 PM
how did you get the seats to work? namely the rear seats. i just purchased seats out of a '95 firebird with driver's side power. it looks like the rear seats may take more work than the front.

CAMAROBOY69
05-03-2005, 03:40 AM
Patrolman808,
I agree the Autometer gauges would look a LOT better. I personally would prefer the silver gauges over the white ones. I will be checking yours out for sure when they are finished. Make sure to PM me the pics of the autometer gauges in there. I am sure thats the route I will eventually take.
scogin918,
Rear seats took about 3 hours to install. Quite easy with a little imagination and fabrication. I think its been almost 2 years since I installed them. I made 4 brackets and they fold down just like they should. Had to fold that back seat down several times now. Power Tour, Woodward, Dragstrip, groceries.....

scogin918
05-03-2005, 08:54 AM
i'll take a look. thanks.

asifnyc
05-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Like everyone else, I'm really impressed with how your console/dash setup looks. Great job. Where did you get the pieces? Has anyone else used any other consoles that should be considered for a 70's car with a TKO? Oh, and does the 4th gen console work better on a rounded tranny tunnel or a flat one? How wide is the console? Thanks.

CAMAROBOY69
05-04-2005, 03:54 AM
Thank you for the compliment. I really appreciate all of them.
The front seats both lumbar powered and functional, rear seats, seat belts front and rear and console I got off of e-bay in 1 auction.
The dash I picked up from someone on this site when they were parting out a 2002 trans am. It was just the best timing ever too because I wanted a 2002. So perfect!
I think the console would work better on a round tunnel but you could always trim the console flat on the bottom since its only plastic and it would lay perfectly flat on a flat tunnel. The console was sooo easy to install. I dont think I spent more than an hour on it and it was bolted in and adjustable up to an inch in any direction.
Width I cant remember but it is very flexible. I think you could move the bottom up to an inch in and out in the width direction. I posted it somewhere on the old board but I wont be able to find it.

KacyZ28
06-06-2005, 02:51 PM
that interior looks great in the 69 and i would like to know what seat brackets you used to bolt in the front seats

CAMAROBOY69
06-07-2005, 03:08 AM
T/y
I design and make every bracket myself from scratch. SInce I installed the full shoulder seatbelts it made it even more challenging to make them work properly. They had to be perfectly level too or the locking mechanism wouldnt function properly. I think there were only 2 holes I was able to use. They are the holes in the floor next to the door. 1 for the passenger seat and 1 for the driver seat. Everything else I had to modify. Especially the rear seats.

TRILOGYZ28
06-07-2005, 12:08 PM
You keep getting all the questions about this retro fit, don't you adam? lol ! :rolleyes5

CAMAROBOY69
06-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Its ok I really dont mind at all. You should see my PM box and my e-mail. I honestly dont mind though.
The only bad thing is by the time I get my car in a magazine everyone will have this interior and my car won't be rare at all. Back when I thought of this no one had ever put it in yet.

Steve1968LS2
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Its ok I really dont mind at all. You should see my PM box and my e-mail. I honestly dont mind though.
The only bad thing is by the time I get my car in a magazine everyone will have this interior and my car won't be rare at all. Back when I thought of this no one had ever put it in yet.

Don't worry.. I think SOME magazines will know who one of the pioneers was

Now get the damn car done.. ;)

madcarson
05-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Looks SWEET,thanks for pic and forging ahead with new ideas!:1st: