PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen. F-body rear sway bar problem

Aguila1
02-27-2008, 08:03 PM
On my '79 TA with fiberglass leaf springs and Addco sway bar: I keep snapping the factory sway bar locater bars. I may switch to Hotchkis sway bars because they have locater bars included. Has anybody else had this happen? and what do you all recommend?

If this has been discussed before please point me to the right thread.

zbugger
02-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Take a look at www.pro-touringf-body.com for some more of those. I think the ones they sell are heavier duty than the stock down bars. Swapping to the Hotchkis setup is another choice as well though.

Lowend
02-28-2008, 05:05 PM
There is something odd going on to be breaking those...
I've torn mounts out of the frame without braking the locater bars

Aguila1
02-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Allen: Thanks for the info. I'll try them because they do look stout. Lowend: It usually snaps when I go up or down a steep incline that applies force on one side of the sway bar. I wonder if the arch of the composite leaf spring is causing too much leverage. If you look at my pics, the rear is a bit jacked up. Maybe I should use lowering blocks (?) to lower the rear down a couple of inches. I've broken three so far, so it can't just be defective pieces.

Lowend
02-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Believe me, if I'm not breaking them with my 1" hardened rear bar on auto-x slicks, you shouldn't be breaking them.
My car will lift the inside rear tire a full 2" off the ground going up a steep driveway

I'm guessing that the rearend is misaligned and its pre-loading the struts, or somthing along those lines.

ks71z28
03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
I second Lowend. If your ride height is high it may be putting the strut bar thing at a binding angle, I use a Rancho adjustable bar, mine is simitar to stock. I like it ok, the Hotchkis bar hangs low at the front

John Wright
03-07-2008, 04:42 AM
Soft springs will put a lot of work on the sway bar too....