PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Olds F-88 Concept Car at Barrett-Jackson

USAZR1
01-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Amazing,huh. What was even more incredible was that that 1954 Oldsmobile "F-88" concept car just sold for a Barrett-Jackson auction price record of $3,000,000. The buyer was talking "trash" to other potential buyers,letting them know no one else was going to outbid him for that car. They didn't.

zbugger
01-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Crap, I missed it. I guess that's what I get for getting off the couch....

B Cichocki
01-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Screw GM for their infinite wisdom in killing Olds. The F-88 for $3mil is just salt in the wounds of Olds lovers everywhere. I must say, I like my W-30 442 better than any of my other A-bodies.

-Brian (Oldsmobile devotee at heart)

colt zantop
01-29-2005, 05:13 PM
any pics??? would love to see it!

WS6
01-29-2005, 06:08 PM
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=178112

here ya go

TPI Monte SS
01-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Wow, you can tell Duntov was working on that one. It's practically a clone to the '53 Vette!

ProdigyCustoms
01-29-2005, 08:03 PM
I loved him screaming to the other guy to bring it on. Amazing what TV will do. Between and Restler (guy in yellow jacket), it is like they were competing for best showman.
But hey, they can affors it, so go fir it.

nvawgn
01-29-2005, 09:54 PM
the guy who bought the car was a tad bit to obnoxious for me

nvawgn
01-29-2005, 09:55 PM
do you think it was his own money or do you think he had a bunch of investors behind his deep pockets?

Conekiller13
01-30-2005, 12:13 AM
I bewlive they said He was buying it for a museum..................did any one see the 1970 LS6 Chevelle sell for 300k? :jawdrop:

ssx
01-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Yeah the guy that bought the 54' Olds seemed like an obnoxious little punk to me, but hey if you got $3 Mill to throw around I guess people put up with it. One of my all time favorite cars is the 36' Chrysler Airflow "Rareflow" it sold for $510K, I thought it might fetch a little more. I was a little suprised that the Alumatub only got $160K, thought it might go for a little more also. Barrett Jackson sure is making the classic car market and prices go to ridiculous levels!

ProdigyCustoms
01-30-2005, 03:47 AM
I'm sorry, but I have been in enough bidding situations over the years, I can kind of understand how the guy felt. I been there, done that where I felt like telling the other guy, bring it on! I guess I just never had the balls, or stupidity, to actually do it. Testosterone is a bitch sometimes, I have puffed up more then a few times while bidding and made it clear I was going to be the new owner, with both terrific and disastrous results. The most fun though is being on the other side of that situation and just running the eventual buyer up. If I would have been other guy bidding, the buyer would have paid $5 mil, LOL!
Isn't it incredible though how much loose money there is in America!

Derek69SS
01-30-2005, 06:27 AM
I've seen that car in person at the olds 100th anniversary feature at the Iola, WI swapmeet a few years ago.

The story on the car is pretty interesting. GM paid a junk-yard to scrap it out, and some GM official had to be there to see them destroy it because they didn't want Ford or Mopar to get a hold of it.

That particular day, the GM guy was in a hurry to get home for some reason, so after watching them cut the car in several pieces, he told them he trusted them to finish the job, and he left. The pieces were stashed in semi trailers in the yard.

40+ years later the cars (there were more, I think about 3 or 4 different concept cars) were found and restored. This was by far the coolest looking one from the pics I've seen of the others.

MuscleRodz
01-30-2005, 10:54 AM
I believe the guy that bought the Olds also bought the pre-production '70 Cuda for $300K. He got caught up in the bidding on it and whe he bought it, the look on his face looked like he just through up in his mouth while trying to keep a big smile on his face.

Mike

Steve1968LS2
01-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Anyone else see the irony that the most expensive car was on that GM deemed not worthy of being made?

Cool car because of the history but I can't say I love the look. Imagine the collection I could have if I spent 3 million bucks on a bunch of cars..

trackzonie
01-30-2005, 04:16 PM
when we there at the auction the crowd was going crazy as it reached 1 million and then it went higher and higher. and the place went crazy. he bought the olds, 2 high dollar cudas, 1 chrysler 300g(again high doller), and not sure what else. Supposedly the guy he was going against is a regular collector from az who has never been out bid except for this time. The buyer claims he had no limit for that car and was going to get it no matter what. He's buying these cars for a museum in Gateway Colorado that isnt even built yet. Must be nice.

kevin

Nine Ball
01-30-2005, 06:06 PM
You know, watching that show makes you realize that no matter how comfortable you live, and how much you spend on this hobby, you are still a broke ass compared to those guys.

HAHA

Tony

Charley Lillard
01-30-2005, 09:19 PM
The guy you think bought the 3 mil car was not the guy. He was a front for the buyer that was sitting right behind us. The buyer owns the discovery channel. He , his wife and Boyds wife were sitting behind me. The goof up on the stage supposedly went to the bar later on and was getting hit on by plenty of women that thought he had 3 mil to toss around when he was probably just the truck driver for the owner. The seller of the Olds paid 300-350K for it and was hoping to sell it for 500K......amazing

ProdigyCustoms
01-31-2005, 03:28 AM
Couple of those hits every now and then will keep the bill collectors at arms length.

trapin
01-31-2005, 06:50 AM
The goof up on the stage supposedly went to the bar later on and was getting hit on by plenty of women that thought he had 3 mil to toss around when he was probably just the truck driver for the owner.
Lucky guy. I wish my job had those kind of perks. :naughty: