PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cant stand the whine!

my72vette454
01-29-2005, 02:21 PM
My wife bought a portable dvd player with a 7 inch screen for us for Christmas. It uses an fm broadcaster for the audio and if you run the fm unit on the 2 double a batteries its fine but when its plugged into the cig lighter it picks up alternator noise or somthing. In the caddy its not too bad but in the suburbinator it is so bad you cant stand to listen to it. I went to a stereo place and the guy told me he really didnt have any kind of a filter to use on it...any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Radio Joe
01-29-2005, 09:48 PM
You have a ground loop. You may be able to go to your local radio shack and get a ground loop isolator. Basically a transformer. Is the FM modulator seperate or built into the DVD player? If seperate Is the DVD player plugged into the cigarette light too? any local stereo shop should be able to suggest some ways to get rid of the noise.

my72vette454
01-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Hey Joe thanks for the reply, the modulator is separate and yes it does plug into the cig lighter with a 2 into one adaptor. I will try a different stereo shop for a second oppinion. Should I not plug the dvd player and fm modulator into the same lighter socket?