PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out rocker panels??

matty b
02-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey, today was a big day. I got the front sheet metal off the car along with the engine which means Im gonna start getting the firewall smoothed out and painted. I did however find that my rockers are full of dirt. There are two holes at the front of them and when I stuck my finger in there they were full of nice soft dirt. It feels like potting soil probably from leaves and stuff getting in there and rotting away. Thankfully the metal is in perfect shape but I have absolutely no idea how to clean them out. The access to them is too small for a shop vac and I would like to avoid cutting them open since the metal is in more or less perfect shape. The paint on the firewall and the cowl is original and not a lick of rust so Im gonna just clean and scuff em and paint those 80% semi gloss black, such a huge relief compared to some cars Ive seen. Any input on this or maybe a secret access hole I havent thought of is really needed cause Im not gonna overlook this since I know this is why so many guys end up with rotted rocker panels.

rubadub
02-22-2008, 07:13 PM
You might have a couple of small holes to get something like this into it http://www.1969supersport.com/restore7.html if not you could drill a hole in each end of the rocker in a place that would be hard to see and put a couple of rust proofing plugs in the hole.

Better to have a couple of plugs then a rocker full of debris or wet debris.

Rob

rubadub
02-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Heres some plugs http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1110&itemType=PRODUCT

Rob

matty b
02-22-2008, 09:52 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing with the air attatchment just couldnt figure out for somewhere for the junk to go. Would you suggest the plugs on the inside or outside? Im going to be running blacked out rocker trim panels so they would be easily hidden behind them. I just want to make sure these are all blown out. BTW I really like your ingenuity that you detail on your webpage. I dont know of alot of people nowdays that actually take the time to figure out the solutions to alot of weird problems, they just take it to someone else and pay them to think for them. I didnt figure there was any special access holes and I guess I was right but Im also glad that someone else was able to try it out and have it work. Thanks alot for your input

rubadub
02-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I don't know what to tell you for sure on where to put the plugs Matty, I guess on the inside out of site. As far as the detail on my website, my wife takes the pictures off the camera and resizes and puts it all together, sometimes she gets the ears back when I bring a bunch of pictures in, but shes pretty good about it, its a group effort, Im 66 and she 65 years old.

It gives us old birds something to do.

Anyway, good luck, and you can buy different types and sizes of plugs.

Rob

Satatic
02-23-2008, 08:56 AM
I ended up replacing the rockers on my camaro, but when I was cleaning them out I used a long metal rod through the access plug in the rear wheel well and a hose in the cowl. I don't know if that is a suggestion or not that is just what I was doing.

perry mitchell
02-23-2008, 10:20 AM
I would remove the sill plates and pull the carpet back ane make a hole in the top of the sill plate that you can get a small vacuum nozzle into. Then remove the plug at the rear of the sill , in the wheel well, and attach your air nozzle into it and blow. Get a long enough rubber hose so you can reach all the way to the front.The sill actually has a division plate in it (pinch weld) so be sure to get on both sides of it. The hole can be patched with a sheet metal plate and screws. Be sure to clean out the drain holes.

matty b
02-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Yesterday I was pulling the heater assembly out of the car and when I looked down into the spot where the blower motor sits I was happily greeted with the possibilty of pulling the kick panel vents and getting a shop vac hose in there HOPEFULLY as far as getting the rest all the crap farther back Im gonna drill a hole in the back and use the blow gun to spray in up front where I can get to it. Thanks for all the suggestions. Ill take a few pics if I dont get side tracked with actually working (it is my down fall when working on the car, Im too caught up in the work to stop and document it) Regardless Ill let you know how it turns out