PDA

View Full Version : Repairing stock AC boxes

derekf
02-22-2008, 08:01 AM
There's some damage to the stock AC box on the firewall on my Camino, on the side closest to the engine.

Can fiberglass be used to repair this, or will it not hold up to the exhaust heat?

derekf
03-03-2008, 04:43 AM
Anyone?

RSX302
03-04-2008, 09:18 PM
I took mine out years ago and changed over to Vintage. If memory serves, the box is molded hard plastic? How bad is the damage? If its too big or for a cleaner look, you could make a molded patch panel out of fiberglass and paint. Use a good adhesive to seal and attach to the area. You can also cover with high temp cloth for added protection.

Twentyover
03-06-2008, 09:30 AM
The A/C box in my elCamino has a factory foil heat protection sleeve. Another option would be to wrap local areas of the header to shield where the headers are close to the box.

Most of these boxes are just glass filled thermosetting plastics.

TD509EFI
03-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Most of these boxes are just glass filled thermosetting plastics.

Agreed. That would be the same as fiberglass would it?
If you have to cut the box to clear your headers, then fiberglassing would be the way to go. I may have to do this with my tall deck and raised exhaust on the AFR heads. Using a good qaulity heat shield such as the stuff Thermo-Tec sells is what I'll be using whether the box needs modifying or not. Ceramic coated headers will also reduce the radiant heat that would be absorbed by headers.

John