PDA

View Full Version : New Guy... building '73 bird

1973ta
02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Hello all,
Glad to see that there are so many other pple out there that believe in DRIVING their cars, especially in the twisties! Raised on muscle cars and road racing in north georgia, P-T a natural progression. I finally got my own car to wrench on, '73 firebird. I don't have any currnt pics on my computer yet, their coming. I found it about 6 months ago in AZ and the thing has ZERO rust and is in great condition. Until i brought it to GA, it had never left Pheonix. Not a real t/a, it started as a red esprit and the guy who had it before me made it a white t/a clone. (and did a beautiful job!) He must have liked the early cars b/c it has the 70-72 graphics (blue stripe & shaker). I love the look, but it just doesn't seem right to me, I think the car needs the big bird bein a '73. or maybe no graphics, smooth & clean? (what do you guys think?) it has a 400 t/a motor out of a '74, automatic trans, blk int. My intention from the start was a pro touring car, which is why i decided on a clone (and I couldn't afford a real t/a this nice) I only drove the car a month before the tear dwn for the transformation. It is currently jacked up and torn apart in the garage with a big stack of new parts waiting on me---Moser 9'' rear w/35 spline & detroit tru trac, global west upper & lower control arms, global west L-2 leafs (1 1/4 drop), global west 1 1/8'' front sway bar, new 8'' brake booster, wilwood master cyl., global west's 13'' cat5 brake kit with some beautiful 6 piston wilwood cal.(12'' 4 pist. for rears), jegs dist. block & proportioning valve. Haven't decided on shocks to use or front springs(2'' hotchkis drop?). I will run 19s in bk & 18s in frnt when i can afford wheels. Any ideas? The suspension has to come first, once the car can handle it, then comes big power an tremec t56. Still need to make some decisions before moving forward. Thanks, nice to be a part of pro-touring, look forward to learning from you guys, and hopefully being able to give some advice along the way too.
Kyle from GA
1973ta
(here are some resto in process pics from bfre i got it, its all i got now)

O'Neall
02-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Cool! Always love to see another Firebird fan!!!!!!! Great looking project. Keep us posted.

NOT A TA
02-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Welcome! Mine was also a red Esprit (70) now a clone. Good luck with the project. Post a couple pics when ya can!

qwik1320
02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Welcome - great car!

camaro608
02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
cool post pics

formula
02-21-2008, 07:41 PM
fantastic! welcome to the 2nd gen fold...sound's like a sweet project! Keep us updated!

Where in GA are you located? I'm up in Spartanburg, right next to Greenville, in south carolina.

1973ta
02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
thanks guys, the car has come a long way since that first picture, but still a long way to go. business keeps me out of the garage except late at night. It's too bad we gotta go to work to pay for the addiction, i mean hobby! Here are my other toys:bananna2: , not exactly muscle cars, they keep me busy. but i think it fits in in pro-touring, at least the integra might. (I need to give credit where its due, OPM autosports in north GA does the work on the silver acura integra, i just drive it)

Zee
02-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Cool, welcome aboard!!

WhiteG240
02-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Nice Project! My 71 is also a clone too. I wish I could start bolting up the goodies. Mine is on a Rotissorie right now getting some new floor pans, rockers, trunk pan, trunk extensions, and possibly some outer wheel houses, oh and some rear quarters as well.

It doesn't look that bad, but in order to do it the right way, all these would need to be replaced. :( So the car isn't going to be on the road anytime soon.

Young Gun
02-23-2008, 10:51 PM
another brother from the south! welcome! cars look great... the teg dissapoints only slightly...im sure we can convince you to throw in a SBC or LSX hahah, great looking bike, Ive got a Ducati 748 S1, its a blast to drive, give me my thrill while I wait for my Nova to be road worthy! again Welcome and keep the pictures coming!

Olav
02-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Welcome to the forum, always nice to see other 2gens. I'm riding a -97 Triumph Daytona T595 955cc.

Olav

ProdigyCustoms
02-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Nice to see a second gen bird. I have been thinking about those cars a lot lately, Welcome back.

muthstryker
02-23-2008, 11:19 PM
welcome, looks like a good start.

anymore info on the teg?? motor?? my secret love affair is imports just dont tell anyone :)