PDA

View Full Version : New to the board...

TerMUp
02-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey guys...looks like I should be in for a great time reading posts, and catching up. I have an '86 Monte LS, and want to make a bit of a g-machine of it. I definitely plan on small block, 5 or 6 speed manual trans (T-5, or T-56??), would like to dabble with A-arm fab, but might just plan on possible stock"ish" lower A-arms (boxed...heard this is an old school trick, and has had some positive results), and an after market upper A-arm...any suggestions?
The rear suspensio....hmmmmm....was originally thinking 9", or 12 bolt (drag race opinion...forgive me), but I do love seeing the IRS pics. I have spoken with a kit car fabricator (Cobra's) and they race them, he stated live axle can be set to corner "real hard", and will "save you gobs of money, as opposed to IRS"....he also explained how IRS is good, but usually need a certain level of performance before the advantages would be obvious.
Anyways, nothing has happened yet, just tossing some ideas around, and sorry to make this intro so long, but I look forward to hearing any and all opinions.

derekf
02-21-2008, 04:19 AM
Welcome to the site.

We really like names and car pictures. Got either one?

jackfrost
02-21-2008, 06:29 AM
lots of guys on this site are making solid axles work real well. i would be surprised if you couldn't achieve what you want w/ the solid axle.

aftermarket parts are getting more plentiful for the A-arms. i have Global West arms on my car, and they're also offered by UMI Performance, UB Machine, SC&C, and more. you will need either different spindles (from a b-body car) or tall ball joints.

I was also thinking about a T5, but if you're going to have any sort of power (more than 300 ft-lbs), making it live will cost just as much as putting in a TKO600 or a T56.

hope this helps. post some pics!

RatMalibu
02-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Welcome, the G-body's are gonna outnumber the F-body's one of these days lol