PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction Mustang and Camaro Bodies

DLinson
02-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know the name of the company that is reproducing the ’67 Mustang bodies and the ’69 Camaro bodies? Also, have any of you worked with one of these bodies, specifically the ’67 Mustang? How’s the fit? How well do aftermarket fenders, doors, etc line up? A guy at work was thinking about getting one.

I know there was an article in one of the magazines not too long ago but I can't find it.

Thanks,
Dennis

rocketman
02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Downs Mfg makes a 69 Camaro body, its glass

Finch
02-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Dynacorn makes the steel bodies....not sure on the quality.

http://dynacornclassicbodies.com/classic.html

Restomod
02-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I saw several of the Mustang parts places had them on Ebay when the first came out and I never saw anyone even bid on one of them. $15k is a large chunk of $ to just be a starting point. And it is NOT a Mustang or a Camaro when you are done its just a replica...........I dont care what anyone says its NOT the same.

69TAPoser
02-19-2008, 05:26 PM
I have never seen a Dynacorn body in person, but MANY that have complain about the quality. Plus, you have the problem of getting a title for it. And it will not be considered "real" by most, if not all states.

Not sure if you are actually looking for a shell, but if you are, I would go the shell rebuild route. There are 2 companies I know of that are doing this and doing it well.

Mine was done by: www.musclecarmetal.com (http://www.musclecarmetal.com)

Motown 454 on this forum is having his done by: www.mikescustomcars.com (http://www.mikescustomcars.com)

BOTH are cheaper than Dynacorn and produce a superior product IMHO.

Phil

minendrews68
02-19-2008, 06:41 PM
I know Classic Industries (OER) has these also. I don't know of the quality though. I have bought a lot of body panels and suspension parts from them and I have been well satisfied. Just haven't heard about the shells.

saunacrank
02-19-2008, 08:16 PM
just find a real body, hate the repro's

ProdigyCustoms
02-19-2008, 08:37 PM
I have a Camaro body coming, I finally found it! "The un repairable Camaro"

Dennis, tell your buddy I have a 25,000 mile, ONE OWNER Barn find 68 GT fastback that is the cleanest, most original Mustang I have found. It has absolutely mint interior, mint enough to reuse, 100% original and complete car including chalk marks on the firewall. Original paint on the front clip and left door. Has been spot painted on the rear of the car and the spot work is chalking, and right door has some light cracking in the body work from what appears to be a scrape. The paint work is from shopping market damage. The car has only one tiny rust spot the size of a silver dollar in the very lower quarter. The body is the best I have ever seen on a Mustang. The undercarriage is immaculate, the door jams are perfect shinny red and DO NOT need paint. The inner trunk is perfect, just windex and go.

It is a real GT 302 J Code, Automatic, PS, Power disc brakes, Red with black interior. And he can buy it for $17,500.

I have not advertised it yet, trying to decide what to do with it. part of me wants to put it away, but I cannot keep another. Part of me wants to paint it, part of me wants to sell it like it is. It is so fricken original I hate to mess with it.

By the time your buddy buys a body, and the front clip, and a donor title, he will be at more money in the aftermarket body then this complete car! And the paint and body will cost him $10,000 more on the repro car then this original car just for fitting all the repro panels. And then he has to buy every bolts and part in the car.

cheapthrillz
02-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Who ever gets that car will be a very happy camper..... I wish I had 18g's for it.... The '68s are my favorite year!

redfire69
02-20-2008, 02:37 AM
The shells are dynacorn, they also deal in many replacement parts, esp for 1st gen camaro. Most quality sheet metal will come from them or goodmark. I haven't heard about the quality or fit/finish of the shells.

Hey Frank: let's see a picture of the un-repairable!! And let us know how the shell works out.

Ron

ssdeuce
02-20-2008, 03:35 AM
Dynacorn makes the steel bodies....not sure on the quality.

http://dynacornclassicbodies.com/classic.html

I heard they were made in China.

fast Ed
02-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Dynacorn had a couple of the Mustang bodies on display at the All-Ford Nats at Carlisle last year. They looked decent to me, and my friend who was along, who has a lot of experience patching up rusty Mustangs, seemed to think that they looked like a nice piece overall. I guess you can't really say for sure until you try to assemble one though ...

cheers
Ed N.

LateNight72
02-20-2008, 09:09 AM
I have a Camaro body coming, I finally found it! "The un repairable Camaro"

Hey Frank: let's see a picture of the un-repairable!! And let us know how the shell works out.
x2... You can't tell us you found something unheard of without some type of proof. :rotfl:

rocketman
02-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I saw several of the Mustang parts places had them on Ebay when the first came out and I never saw anyone even bid on one of them. $15k is a large chunk of $ to just be a starting point. And it is NOT a Mustang or a Camaro when you are done its just a replica...........I dont care what anyone says its NOT the same.

It does seem to effect the street rod world, a glass repo street rod is worth as much as steel real deal, and repo is proably better because you don't have years of rust and crap to fix.

TA219
02-20-2008, 11:33 AM
no kidding, that un-repairable camaro must be a pile of dust :lol:

zooboy
02-20-2008, 07:16 PM
I looked at one of the dynacorn bodies at a local show. IT did'nt look to bad to me. My problem is with the 15k price tag and no vin number. Try getting it tagged in Kansas.

Young Gun
02-20-2008, 07:25 PM
well if you can get it titled then I dont see an issue with those dynacorn bodies...the way I see it, the car is being built for me, NOT for resale...so as long as I can legally drive it I dont give a hoot about it being real or not...its got the looks, it drives how I want and Im happy... but if you are building it to sell...go with the real deal...it will pay off bigtime

ProdigyCustoms
02-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Young Gun I agree. Only exception is when you can find a complete survivor that gives you every bolt and clip instead of having to buy every bolt and clip. There are just some many thing one needs to build a car from zero.

ProdigyCustoms
02-20-2008, 07:46 PM
no kidding, that un-repairable camaro must be a pile of dust :lol:

Actually the car looked great from 20 feet. it was what was done under the new shinny paint that killed it. E bay deal. Nice shinny paint, all brazed used parts. Doctor of Frankenstien!

I will get some pictures.

muthstryker
02-20-2008, 08:00 PM
frank, just put some wheels on it and put a 20' distance around it at car shows. :)

moreHP
02-20-2008, 08:07 PM
I have seen one of the dynacorn bodies for the mustang up close and it didn't impress me too much. There was some definate flaws in the roofline where the back window is and other flaws that would equal a lot of bodywork and money. No where near the 15k they are getting for them. Besides the fact that all the little brackets and specialty bolts would have to come from a donor car since not everything is available aftermarket.

Young Gun
02-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Only exception is when you can find a complete survivor that gives you every bolt and clip instead of having to buy every bolt and clip. There are just some many thing one needs to build a car from zero.

I agree hands down... No doubt I would prefer to start a project like that, I never really considered that possiblity in my previous response:hand:

Vegas69
02-21-2008, 12:09 AM
I think Frank is speaking of a particular car in his shop right now, or hopefully a few.

redfire69
02-21-2008, 03:18 AM
frank, just put some wheels on it and put a 20' distance around it at car shows. :)

I should have done that w/my 69!!! :rotfl:

barraza
02-21-2008, 06:29 AM
The dynacorn bodies definitely have their place. They would be a great start for a rusted out convertible, because they are so hard to find , but coupes are still relatively available. Witness Steves recent find, a much better buy, especially when all the little parts are figured in. Prices for trim and small parts could double the price of the bare body.

If the street rod market is an indicator, we will all be glad they exist in the future because all the decent project material WILL eventually dry up. Look at the value of original steel 32's vs glass vs repro steel. The title issues will be worked out in time, and the quality will get better. Can anyone here tell the difference between a Brookville ford body, and one built by Henry? I cant, because I've never seen a real uncut body, and 30 years down the road, people will say the same thing about Camaro's and Mustangs. Most of the public cant even tell now.

69TAPoser
02-21-2008, 06:41 AM
The dynacorn bodies definitely have their place.

The title issues will be worked out in time, and the quality will get better. Can anyone here tell the difference between a Brookville ford body, and one built by Henry?

I agree and disagree. They will have their place, but at the moment, I think a rebuilt shell is a much better option and has much more value down the road (original title, body tag, etc.)

They do have the title situation worked out already. You need the title the car as a new home built custom/kit. Which is nowhere near as desireable as a '69 titled car.

There are company's out there that will take you from this:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/02/junk_camaroJPG-1.jpg

To this:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/02/junk2New_bodyJPG-1.jpg

...the above is from Musclecar Metal.

It is cheaper, considered an original '69, you will have all of your parts, and the fit of the panels is excellent.

As long as this is an option, I cannot understand why you would go with a Dynacorn body? :dunno:

Phil

barraza
02-21-2008, 07:21 AM
I agree and disagree. They will have their place, but at the moment, I think a rebuilt shell is a much better option and has much more value down the road (original title, body tag, etc.)

They do have the title situation worked out already. You need the title the car as a new home built custom/kit. Which is nowhere near as desireable as a '69 titled car.

There are company's out there that will take you from this:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/02/junk_camaroJPG-1.jpg

To this:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/02/junk2New_bodyJPG-1.jpg

...the above is from Musclecar Metal.

It is cheaper, considered an original '69, you will have all of your parts, and the fit of the panels is excellent.

As long as this is an option, I cannot understand why you would go with a Dynacorn body? :dunno:

Phil
I would love to see the Bill for that rebuild!! The point remains that the need for the Dynacorn bodies is in its infancy. In the future, those starter cars will be all gone, just like old rods. Despite what is conventional wisdom about getting titles, I would guess that most are being titled as old cars. Honestly, there wouldn't be much more of the original car from that rebuild in your pictures. Also, realize that lots of states dont have titles for cars from the sixties, so registering is easy.

69TAPoser
02-21-2008, 07:53 AM
I would love to see the Bill for that rebuild!! The point remains that the need for the Dynacorn bodies is in its infancy. In the future, those starter cars will be all gone, just like old rods. Despite what is conventional wisdom about getting titles, I would guess that most are being titled as old cars. Honestly, there wouldn't be much more of the original car from that rebuild in your pictures. Also, realize that lots of states dont have titles for cars from the sixties, so registering is easy.

I agree with your point about there being no "starter" bodies left at some point. The above is obviously an extreme pic, but a lot of Tony's (Musclecar Metal) rebuilds are not far off. On a coupe, he chops them down to this if they are "gone" (this is actually mine):

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

...But he will save all the metal that he can if you request.

He will do a total rebuild for $9K-$10K if you supply the shell (I know his website says $12k but he will "credit" you for your shell). That's $5-6K less than a dynacorn body, you have all your car parts, and a real title. How much metal is left when he is done (in some cases it is as little as 10%) is not really the point as much as its' ability to retain the title and trim tag and have a shell with quality fitment done by a guy here who cares vs. made in China. As for using an old title on a new car, that is illegal in most states. Some states may not require titles (mine doesn't either), but they ALL require a registration. ;) Read into the problems that Unique has had mass-producing the dynacorn shell.

I am not trying to argue with you here at all, I just don't understand why someone would go the Dynacorn route (and I have NOTHING against Dynacorn, nor do I have any interests in MuscleCar Metal or Mike's Customs) when they can have a shell rebuilt with all of the advantages I have listed.

The advantages of the Dynacorn shell over a rebuilt shell (while they are still avail) are???

Phil

barraza
02-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I agree mostly, as long a good cheap starters are available, a dynacorn is expensive. But when the price of starter cars goes up like street rod metal, we will all be happy because replacement bodies will provide the competition needed to hold prices within reason. It's just economics, demand goes up, prices go up, alternatives are born.

These arguements go on all the time on the camaro boards. What is original enough to be original, and who cares? A VIN tag by itself? A vin tag attached to a piece of original metal? That palletized camaro in the pic isn't going to have much original metal left, where's the line? Everyone has their own definition, and no states that I am aware of have definitions either. Caveat emptor

Restomod
02-21-2008, 12:32 PM
I think the whole how much is still original only comes into play if its a valuable car to start with. If you start with a original car an VIN it is still going to be titled as a 69 not a 2008 special construction or custom built. That is what makes the differance to me.

parsonsj
02-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Here in Florida, you can title repro cars as if they were original cars. I actually read the legislation (and can't remember for sure), but the language was "strongly resembles" or some such.

The legislation was SEMA-based, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of states have similar laws.

jp

DLinson
02-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I sent the guy a link to this thread so he can read all of the comments.

I wouldn't care if the car was an original or a copy if I was going to make a custom pro-touiring car. To me it only matters if it is an all original car with some type of history or something similar. They guy at work feels the same.

A lot of people ask me how I could title my car since it was about as far gone as the Camaro shell above and the rest is mostly custom sheet metal or highly modified reproduction panels. I didn't bring it up when I titled it.

Frank, I wish I could by that Mustang from you but I'm afraid the wife would kill me. Besides I have a 68 Charger 440 4-speed to fix up. She might let me trade it for a Mustang though.

Thanks again for all of your input and opinions.

Dennis

DLinson
02-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I sent the guy a link to this thread so he can read all of the comments.

I wouldn't care if the car was an original or a copy if I was going to make a custom pro-touiring car. To me it only matters if it is an all original car with some type of history or something similar. They guy at work feels the same.

A lot of people ask me how I could title my car since it was about as far gone as the Camaro shell above and the rest is mostly custom sheet metal or highly modified reproduction panels. I didn't bring it up when I titled it.

Frank, I wish I could by that Mustang from you but I'm afraid the wife would kill me. Besides I have a 68 Charger 440 4-speed to fix up. She might let me trade it for a Mustang though.

Thanks again for all of your input and opinions.

Dennis

MonzaRacer
02-21-2008, 05:00 PM
OK as I understand from the GM higher up I talked to and Dynacorn, the GM bodies are all licensed "replacement parts" so if you have a rust bucket/basket case, then you can rebuild it.
AS I have been told Ford is actually going to start listing the Mustang bodies also as "authorized replacement parts" .
If you think there is any difference over the Musclecar Metal, GIVE ME A BREAK, so you guy think his custom, hand patched together stuff is any better than the Dynacorn, so be it, BUT if I can still get to the 69 Convert 6cyl 3 spd that has sat in fence row since I was a teen then if I ever get enough cash I will use the Convert as a start(ie donor).
The repro is a start, it still requires body work and finish.NOWHERE has it been said you would buy it, rub it with a scotchbrite pad and then shoot some paint and its done. YOU GOTTA DO THE PREP AND DETAIL WORK.
Think of it, as you buy the next great deal of a late 60s Camaro, you get her home and want to mini tub it,,, and there is nothing to mini tub, then you try to replace the tired subframe with a better one you have thats got motor/trans in it,, and the floors are gone and its ate into the rest of the car,, so you have lots of time and cash in a roof, cowl with vin tag, and part of the upper part of the quarter, you got nothing but a piece of a car .
How much you got it in that part $500-$5000 then you take the part to Musclecar Metal and spend his $10k-$12 k on it and your in to the SAME THING AS A Dynacorn unit.
The Dynacorn unit is made from better metal, hasnt got all the screwy foam "sealants" or crap added in.
I saw one done and it looks awesome, and the owner said it only took him 5 weeks to transfer all the parts and tags from his 67(I think its was a 67) and that was after work. He had a new harness, rebuilt the rear with ART stuff and ART up front, the big block he had me build 2 yrs before, got new home in it.
He has complete documantation on the "restoration" and the left overs, well if you saw what the roof looked like after the bondo came out, he had a cowl and about 3 in of firewall, heck even the A-pillars were swisscheeze.
His car was unsavable and he had had it since early 70s and never knew it was so damaged till he stripped it.
It sat in his barn for a few years when he heard about the Dynacorn units, he had looked at way to many cars and never found anything that fit his needs.
He has it insured as a restored car with all replacement parts listed and photographed and insurance knows just what he did and it still insures it as a 67(?) Camaro.
He says he drove a 18k mile original that was just about as new as you could have nad his is MUCH tighter, it weighs in around 350lbs more(heavier metal) and he said the fit and finish was very good and it only required minimal work to paint, yes it has filler in it to make it right.
guess IF you can get the one guy to resurect your crap go for it, but if its an authorized repalcement part so be it, I would agree that Dynacorn/GM/Ford need to make sure it has marks to designate it as a replacement part.

MarkM66
02-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Here in Florida, you can title repro cars as if they were original cars. I actually read the legislation (and can't remember for sure), but the language was "strongly resembles" or some such.

The legislation was SEMA-based, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of states have similar laws.

jp

Same in MO. You present it as a '69 Camaro, and they issue you a title that states '69 Camaro.

redfire69
02-22-2008, 03:17 AM
A lot of good points made here. And yes the dynacorn body is a replacement part, but the legality of this varies from state to state. I think these bodies have there place too. For some people time is also a factor and these bodies will get you to the finished product quicker. Supply for ANY 69 Camaro body is drying up, so the only ones left will be like those shown above. We're not too far off from the situation of the 32 Fords and 57 Chevys.

That being said, I'm working on a rusted out 69 myself and sometimes I wish I had gone the dynacorn route. Doing the work myself, a couple hours at a time, may take another year. And by the time I'm done, I'll have replaced 80% of the original metal. But at least I'll have fun along the way...

Ron