PDA

View Full Version : Efi Help ! ! !

jgeast21
02-17-2008, 12:37 AM
I am doing an S10 v8 swap, and am having the hardest time ever deciding on an E.F.I. setup. I need YOUR suggestions. Please take into account that I need it to be a relatively easy to install on a 355 Chevy Small Block engine with a relatively thumpy Lunati. I will get specs on it shortly. (I don't know right off hand) I also need it to be a realtively inexpensive process. Maybe, something I can find at a pull-a-part or common junk yard. I was looking towards vortech heads, but I would eventually like to purchase a nice set of aluminum heads to open myself to more flow, and that is what I would like it to work on. If I need to give you anymore info as far as specs or technical things, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to get it. Like I said, I am OBLIVIOUS to EFI, but intrigued and would like to take a swing at it. Let me know what you have in mind.
ALSO: The truck is gutted so it will be really easy to adapt harnesses in. Keep this in mind if you have an idea that requires some wiring and stuff. Thanks Y'all

andrewb70
02-17-2008, 08:04 AM
If you are oblivious to EFI, have a rowdy cam, and a low budget, your best option is a properly tuned carburetor.

Andrew

K5Cruiser
02-17-2008, 10:02 AM
If you are oblivious to EFI, have a rowdy cam, and a low budget, your best option is a properly tuned carburetor.

Andrew

I second that.

If you still want to go EFI, and are looking through local junk yards, the easiest to adapt and find are the TBI units. However, these won't work too well with a "thumpy Lunati." Your next best bet would be a TPI unit as you can find these in the junk yard.

I would suggest that you do your homework on EFI and read up everything you can about it. The more you know, the better off you'll be. As you're doing that, keep your eyes open for people selling used EFI set-ups or ones that people have bought, never used, and are now up for sale. You can find some good deals that way. It takes a little more effort on your part, and some patience, but it will save your pocket book.

jgeast21
02-17-2008, 03:48 PM
By saying I was oblivious, I may have incriminated my self a bit. I understand EFI, I only need direction in what is the best for my application. I am familiar with the TPI, but as for TBI, NO!!! Help me out in this regard. I need direction.

jgeast21
02-17-2008, 03:51 PM
I need it in regards to what is best for my application with the cam and all. IT IS NOT COMING OUT. It was given to me for this application and I am almost obligated to use it. I want to avoid a carb because I will be autocrossing and have seen many issues with cars that run a carb setup when they are fligging them around. I was told it will be hard to adapt an EFI setup to this cam. Is it true? Can it be done? What do I need? Let me know

andrewb70
02-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Is the engine currently running? Do you know the kind of vacuum that it pulls? If it is not running, do you have an estimate of the vacuum that it might pull?

Andrew

86Cutlass383SR
02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm no expert but I'll thorw in my 2 cents worth here.

I'm on the f-body thirdgen.org board and a lot of the guys there are running the Holley Stealth Ram. It's a non emission self contained unit that replaces the intake, runners, and plenum of the TPI with a tunnel ram EFI setup. It can be bought new for under $500 new (not a pieced together and mis-matched used unit).

I used oem TPI harness and ecm can run this setup just like the factory cars run. They are MAF but can be converted to run speed density.

If you are any good with computers and engine tuning, then you can buy everything you need to datalog, tune, and burn new chips for your S-10 cheaper than buying an aftermarket chip from TPIS, Ed Wright, or whomever.

As for that "thumpin' Lunati" cam, some of those guys are running (and tuning) solid rollers in the 240*/250* @ .050" lift range and 110* LSA. It can be done.

If this sounds like something you're interested in, go roam aroung the TPI and DIY-EFI boards at thirdgen.org.

Doug

jgeast21
02-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Definitely will check out that. Do you have any links to the company that produces it? Any links to the programming equipment? As for vacuum, I do not know what it is because the engine is waiting on an induction system, but I am hoping for the range of 12-15 inches of vacuum. The cam is 292/292 .498 lift 112 dur. so I am still going to have some, but I am banking on having to have to have a vacuum canister for my brakes.

86Cutlass383SR
02-18-2008, 08:27 PM
For the equipment to do the chip burning, datalogging, etc go to www.moates.net (http://www.moates.net) FYI the Autoprom does everything you need to do but it's a little pricey at $325 but it has EVERYTHING you need...including a registered version of the software you'll need.

The Holley Stealth Ram is available from Summit. $310 for the intake and $230 for the required fuel rails. These are the parts needed to replace the TPI base (intake), runners, and plenum. Increases upper rpm breathing.

www.thirdgen.org (http://www.thirdgen.org) is the site for the 3rd gen TPI f-bodies. The message boards contain a LOT of info and you want to specifically look thru :

TPI - (adjusting components such as IAC and TPS and anything else related to the TPI system including burning your own chips)

DIY Prom - More advanced chip burning

Alternative Port EFI Intakes - Which covers the Holley Stealth Ram (commonly called the HSR) among other non stock EFI intake setups.

Here is an article on 3rd gen about a shootout using stock TPI, modified TPI and several aftermarket EFI setup including the HSR. 383 stroker using a 236/242 hyd roller cam. HSR made the highest avg torque AND hp combined. Others made more tork but fell short in the hp, and one other made more hp but was way down on tork. Good reading.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tpi/273727-tpi-shootout-feb-super.html

If I can did up any more or if you have any other ????'s....:)

Doug

demonpixel
02-18-2008, 09:17 PM
hey jgeast, it took me a really long time to decide on an efi system. i finally decided on the retrotekspeed bossefi system on my pontiac 400. i love the system (even though i'm having a little idle issue) because you can use any carbureted intake manifold including stock and your stock air cleaner. the system was pretty easy to install (even for a newbie car guy like me) and looks great imo. i have a blog and i'll be writing about the installation soon, but you can see pics i took of the system when i got it:

http://zigzautonotes.blogspot.com/

i'm about to post a thread about my idle issue though...anyway, hope this helps and good luck with your decision man, you're gonna have a lot of fun. :)

edl406
02-18-2008, 10:14 PM
yep thats how my s10 started out too, needless to say it didnt turn out to be a cheap venture at all. And still sinking money in it. I ended up going with the edelbrock pro flo system, Its nice to a certain extent, it has its limitations. It is nice cause edelbrock has sent me 3 proms so far for my cams, I keep changing my mind. The last one is pretty lumpy. The best part is that all of the proms were free, no shipping either. The system isnt cheap though. If you want to spend some money, wait till the new proflo 's come out. If not you can go the cheaper route described above.

1969CamaroRS
02-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Fast just came out with a new system targeted at replacing a carb and being super easy to setup and self-tuning:
http://www.fuelairspark.com/WhatsNew/Default.asp?offset=7

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

MonzaRacer
02-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Best bang for the buck
Megasquirt. (www.megasquirt.com)
You can get it ready built at www.diyautotune.com
It works well with the Comander 950 throttle body or any variation out there.
you do need a cheap lap top to run the tuning software but other than that,,,,,.
I have ran it on several rather radiacla engines as the unit can run mixed speed desity/N-alpha for the lumpier cams.