PDA

View Full Version : getting a plasma cutter worth it

gearheads78
02-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Been thinking about adding one to the tool collection. Those that have one how ofter do you use it.?

cheapthrillz
02-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Very accurate cut! If you can afford it, please get one. So much cleaner than oxyacetelyn torch. Used both many times. Plasma cutter makes patchwork soooo much easier!

MrQuick
02-17-2008, 12:51 AM
If you do buy one make sure its a quality brand and is rated well over your expected usage.

We gone through 3 cheapies and the combined cost could have bought a real nice one.

This seller on ebay that offers free shipping and 2 year warranty. Also was 35% cheaper than everyone we checked.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&catref=C6&from=R10&satitle=plasma+cutter&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=weldfabulous&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&fgtp=

I love our Miller 625. 375 is great for sheetmetal too.

Thrillrr
02-17-2008, 03:15 AM
You ought to check out this brand too
http://www.hypertherm.com/

72nova
02-17-2008, 03:55 AM
Get one if you can. I have a thermal dynamics pak 25, 110v. It does everything I need it to do. It will cut 3/16" pretty clean, has some slag. I never shopped around for one because mine was given to me, so I dont know about other brands or bigger cutters, but this one has worked flawlessly and consumables are easy to get.

Don_Berry
02-17-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm selling my Lincoln Pro Cut 55 (http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e1160.pdf). It only has about 3-4 hours of cutting time on it and is like brand new. I bought some equipment from a shop that was closing and don't need 2 plasma cutters.

Asking $1000 and I'll pay for shipping.

Mathius
02-17-2008, 09:49 AM
If you set the torch right, you can get a better cut with oxy-acetylene than you can with a Plasma Cutter.

Having said that, AFAIK you cannot cut aluminum, or stainless with an oxy-acetylene unit.

If you can afford it, a plasma cutter is a great tool, but you have to ask yourself how much you're going to use it.

Last I priced them, Oxygen and Acetylene tanks aren't cheap either. If you get a good deal on a harris torch set, under $100, add whatever tips you need at $30-$50 apiece I think, then Oxy and Acetylene are like $200 and $300 for a good size tank. Obviously you can get smaller ones, but if you can get by with a smaller unit, why do you need a plasma?

So if you're doing a lot of cutting, I'd go the extra mile and get a plasma, but we do a LOT of cutting in the field without one.

We use a cut-off wheel for almost everything except when cutting sheet or plate. We cut large diameter pipes with them (anywhere from 20-45" pipe, 1/8", 4x4 tubing, 3/16" wall, etc.), flat stock, round stock, angle, even c-channel if we have to.

All I'm saying is you have to weight your budget vs. what you really need.

Obviously if you get good with a plasma, it's going to be easier than using a cut-off wheel. It's also going to be safer than an oxy-acetylene unit, and easier to move.

Mathius

scherp69
02-17-2008, 09:51 AM
I have the Miller 375 Extreme....it's a great unit. I paid $1299 for mine, but then you should get a line filter for getting rid of water. For everything, it ran me just under $2000 and I know I have a good name. I've been using it quite a bit and it's pretty handy. I could have gotten away without it for most of the stuff I've done, but when I get into cutting out the fender wells...I have a feeling I'm goign to be very happy I have it.

amx2334
02-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I have a Hobart. Has a built in compressor so its extremely portable.Just plug into 120v and go.No tanks to lug around.
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/plasma/airforce250ci/
I'd like to say I use it alot but most of the time I just grab a saw if its a small job.But when you need it there is nothing better.
If your doing alot of fabricating there is an argument for a bandsaw instead.

wendell
02-18-2008, 06:24 AM
The hypertherm and thermal dynamics brands were started by the folks that invented the process New Hampshire. Until recently they (the last time I checked), they were the best. I've had a TD cutmaster 50 for a few years and couldn't be happier. WIth te right stand off it cuts 1/4" clean.

Bruning Auto Design
02-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Hypertherm Powermax 600. Great machine!

Travis Rankin
03-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I have an 80amp machine that cuts 3/4" plate perfectly straight and severes 1 1/8" plate.. .. the big plate look likes you chewed it off, but it works if you just have to hack it off..

I have used alot of other machines.. and if they don't have the power I just get pissed off..

If you are going to get one, get a good one.. Probably doeasn't need to be 80amps.. but just get more than you need you won't regret it..

If you have enough power you can use it like an carbon arc gouger to dig stuff out.

However, if it's not big enough it will be a waste of money and end up collecting dust.

The plasma cutter is definatly one of my most important tools.

Jim Nilsen
03-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Just an FYI for everyone. You can cut stainless with an oxy/acet torch set if you place a piece of carbon steel on top of it or use a Herob which has a different tip configuration than the standard torch heads.Saw a guy lose $20 betting a guy couldn't do it!!!

I have seen the Henrob do so many things I bought one just to have around for when there is no electrical power where I need to work. For $350 it's indespensible if you know how to use it and better than the standard torch setups for the most part.

gearheads78
03-22-2008, 05:56 AM
Anyone used this one. I found one local new in the box for $950.00

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_375/

MrQuick
03-22-2008, 09:41 PM
I have that model. very nice unit. great price too, hope it wasn't a fire sale.

gearheads78
03-23-2008, 05:06 AM
I picked it up last night and its was just as he said new in the box. If anyone else wants one he has a few more and will ship for another $50.00-$60.00
PM me if you want his contact info

gearheads78
04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Just as a follow up I have had my plasma for about a month now. I don't know how I lived without one. I have used it for so much more than I expected to. Its been a huge time saver. Other than general sheet metal cutting here are a few things I have used mine for the last week or so.

1. Putting LS1 rear brakes on my Abody rear the E-brake lever was hitting the control arm bracket. Before I would grind and file till I got the clearance needed. It would be a good 30-45 min job. With the plasma I made a needed 1/2" x 1/2" notch in the thick bracket in a few seconds. And dressed it with a rotory file. It took longer to walk across the garage and pick up the plasma than the whole time spent making the notch.

2. Removing lower front control arm bushings have always been a PITA for me. This time I drilled holes in the rubber to get the core knocked out. The then used the plasma to cut a slit in the shell other than the small amount you can't get to. Then was able to knock shells out with a few light taps

3. Rear axle bearings that have a thick press on retainer. Old way was a sharp chisle on both sides until its busted in half. Worked but time consuming and ofter resulted in a sore thumb from minor hammer contact. This time I used the trusty plasma to cut down to aprox 1/16" from the axle to avoid damaging it. Two light taps with the chisle and the ring popped off. Both axles took less than 5 min total. :worship: Very happy with my new toy.

Don_Berry
05-04-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm selling my Lincoln Pro Cut 55 (http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e1160.pdf). It only has about 3-4 hours of cutting time on it and is like brand new. I bought some equipment from a shop that was closing and don't need 2 plasma cutters.

Asking $1000 and I'll pay for shipping.

DON'T BUY MY LINCOLN, or anyother Lincoln plasma!

As soon as I posted this, the damn thing smoked. I took it to the local Lincoln dealer and had them send it out for a repair assesment. That assessment cost me $100.

Lincoln says it will cost over $1000 to repair!!!! :ripped:

The local dealer even offered to pay shipping if I could sell it out of his service area...

Bottom line, Buy a Miller or some other brand. DO NOT buy a Lincoln.