PDA

View Full Version : garage space

samuel good
02-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I really want to do some work on my car , but my 2 car garage is just too small and I really don't want to move . I was considering leasing some garage space, possibly with a lift to do the work. Have any of you had any experience in this area?

Bill Howell
02-15-2008, 02:31 PM
What is the time frame you are thinking about, week, month, year?
Be sure and remember proper insurance to cover your car, tools etc. before you commit to a long term lease.

Bow Tie 67
02-15-2008, 02:32 PM
How small is your garage? I am on my 3rd car in a 2 car garage. I did notice that the two different garages I have used happened to be larger than what is normal. I believe 20 x 18. I have a shed for all the yard and house crap and move out the other car anytime I work on the project. Its a pain and takes longer to get things done but it's all I have to work with.

samuel good
02-15-2008, 02:45 PM
I was thinking along the lines of a yearly lease, but it hadn't occured to me to insure my tools. Good catch , thanks!

Bill Howell
02-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Don't forget other little things like water, electric, gas, etc. Also, probably a good idea to have an alarm installed if not already there.
If your area is like mine, look to pay about $8 per foot per year. I am sure there are warehouse districts there for about that money.

Jim Nilsen
02-16-2008, 05:33 AM
I had a good friend years ago that had a place that he couldn't build a garage any bigger than his house and he would not have been able to make the house bigger because of the size of his lot. After a lot of creative thinking and talking to the village about it we realized a way that worked within the code. The solution was to make a 2 story building out of his house with the garage below and still make everything bigger.

The thought here is to maybe see a different way just in case you have limitations blocking your possibilities others have given you.

The other thought is to just move. I was so much happier to have my money going to a place I can walk to 8ft away from my back door and it was already built. With the housing market like it is, if you have a good % of equity you can upgrade and maybe not get hit as hard as you think? It's worth the time to think about.

Goodluck and get twice the garage space than what you think you need :cheers:

70bird
02-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I believe most commercial leases will require a min. 5 year commitment, so make sure you are gonna need all that. Even at $5.00 sq/ft @ let's say 1500, just your rent alone will be substantial every month.

Check with your neighbors. Some may have extra storage space and might let you store some things temporarily.
I have an elderly, widowed neighbor whose husband had built this great shop, and it's nearly empty now.(heat/ac and 220) I don't work there, but she lets me store a car or boxes etc. when I need the extra room. She even makes me cookies from time to time! LOL

I have built my car to this point in my 2 car size garage with a single wide door on one side and a big azz post right in the middle of the room. I can't even open both doors completly at the same time.

I feel your pain brutha'

romar 02 SS
02-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Clear out your garage completly and stack everything in the driveway. Then put your car, tools, and parts in the garage. Then start to put everything else back in the garage. Start with the most important stuff first.(ie Christmas decoration, old mags,dog etc.)Then what ever is left just isn't that important. Good luck. Larry:box2:

West Texas Z
02-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Clear out your garage completly and stack everything in the driveway. Then put your car, tools, and parts in the garage. Then start to put everything else back in the garage. Start with the most important stuff first.(ie Christmas decoration, old mags,dog etc.)Then what ever is left just isn't that important. Good luck. Larry:box2:

I like his idea better.

B Schein
02-16-2008, 07:45 PM
What is your budget I have I 2000sq ft space for rent in the Charlotte area

scotzilla
02-17-2008, 02:52 PM
haha- i had the same problem about three months ago- I went out and leae a 1500 sg ft shop for 1400 a month- GOt insurance and pg and e is about 200 a month- Before you know it my sho prent was more than my house rent. I picked up some side work to help ofset the cost and three months later i quit my job at the shop i was at and im moving to a 5500 sq ft shop and doing it full time- haha good luck

Strip Poker 388
03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I ve worked out of a 2 car garage on cars and building motors, Just have a 10x10 homedepot shop/shed to do dirty stuff and storage

Martin71RS
03-03-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't know what you are complaining about......:slap:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/december200701-1.jpg

no electricity apart from a small generator, no water, no heating.
There is allways room for excuses....just use what you have and make the best of it.
(this is not the most effective way...but it can work, more space is better though)

Martin

TPI Monte SS
03-04-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm with Martin! My house was built in 1939. It's got a single-car garage that's just barely long enough to fit the Monte, and wide enough to open a door to the first notch on the hinge without denting the door. My solution? Any wrenching gets done on the driveway, whether it's a big project or small one. Sure, I don't get much work done in the winter, but I've done everything from hang an exhaust, do a motor swap, rebuild/replace a complete suspension, and even strip an '85 Monte SS in a few hours with a few buddies.

If you keep all your lawn stuff/home stuff in the garage, I suggest getting a nice-size shed to put that stuff, and leave the garage for your tools and car. I'd love to have a two-car garage, I'd actually be able to get work done!

GTOnate
03-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I feel the need for more space too, I moved into a house a month ago that my wife had picked out... The only thing I asked was for at least a 2 car garage... What did I get a one car garage and a carport. My solution, the wife parks her car outside :)

eville
03-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I get jealous when I read about shops that guys build on their land.
The good news is, we're adding on! I get to add 14' to the length of my garage. I'll finally have a two car garage! But it will be one wide and two deep instead of two wide and one deep. LOL

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/IMG_1335-1.jpg

GTOnate
03-04-2008, 11:26 AM
wow that is nuts! i thought I had it bad haha

motorheadmike
03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
We just bought a house built pre-1970 with a flat 3 car driveway leading into a double car garage (that I know will fit a man-sized car) that has a pass-through into the backyard which goes on for another 75'-100' (50 x 150 lot). We will be building a shop back there.

I am so excited.

caper150
03-04-2008, 04:50 PM
As soon as the weather breaks I'm finishing up my 32X40 shop. Just need to run electrical and do the siding and I'm set to but my two Galaxie projects in there.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/garage0011-1.jpg

arai
03-08-2008, 08:09 PM
nice shop you have started there......

Buick Motorsports
03-08-2008, 08:24 PM
What is the time frame you are thinking about, week, month, year?
Be sure and remember proper insurance to cover your car, tools etc. before you commit to a long term lease.

Tools and car are a good point. Any time you are renting space outside ofr your home, whether it be commercial or a shop on residential land, you need to purchase general liability coverage.

You need this in the event that your actions cause damage to the property.

TonyHuntimer
03-08-2008, 10:13 PM
I moved from a driveway, to a large space under a tree, to small one-car to a small 2-car. I'm not complaining but I can't wait to move to my next home. :)

Luckily I have high ceilings in my garage and I'm building overhead storage for the Christmas ornaments and stuff that doesn't have anything to do with a car.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com