PDA

View Full Version : What comes first?

trig
02-14-2008, 12:40 PM
epoxy primer over blasted body than filler or body filler than primer. This is a slow moving project and want to avoid any rust issues. my car is bare metal in the interior and undercarrage and I was planning on using an epoxy than topcoat (yet to be determined ie. paint or undercoating). Before going top side (will be using da to strip) do I prime frist or skim coat?

I have read about southern polyurthanes on this sight with multiple positive reviews. I am not a body man (will not be doing final sanding or spraying), what are recomendations with their product line vs dupont, ppg ect? It is critical that I stay with same company all the way, or can I save some money for the epoxy primer?

Thanks,

danbob67
02-14-2008, 05:21 PM
as soon as you strip the car to bare metal put the epoxy on it. then work the needed areas and reprime. I would recommend staying with one product line if you go dupont use all dupont stuff for that system. Im not saying that you can't mix em up but It is better to stay all the same. with ppg there epoxy would be dp90 or if you go the dupont route DTM 2570s is there epoxy primer equal to dp90.

trig
02-17-2008, 05:06 PM
What about all the people who say to put filler to bare metal only? Then I read some manfactures say it is ok to skim over skuffed epoxy primer. I dont want to have to primer and take it back off later. Thoughts for the undercarriage. Epoxy then paint or skip the paint and por15?????

Thanks

danbob67
02-17-2008, 05:37 PM
well you epoxy the whole thing then 80 grit the epoxy off the spots you need to work with filler.

63SW
02-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Just speaking for myself , i use a metal etching primer on the undercarriage first ( SUCH AS VERIPRIME ), Then i will fix the minor imperfections using a light THIN coat of ALL METAL - Its a aluminum base body filler..... Then coat as needed with the DP90 EPOXY .

Im just getting ready to do it on this car.
HERES A PICTURE OF THE 69 CAMARO I AM WORKING ON AT THIS TIME.

Davezz28
02-18-2008, 12:00 PM
If I am going to have the car in bare metal for some time while I do the filler work, I wipe all bare metal down with Pixlex. This neutrualizes any rust and prevents any surface rust from developing. I then do all my repairs/filler work on bare metal. When all repairs/filler work is done, I then epoxy to seal out the body.