PDA

View Full Version : Question about Engine Masters Challange....

trapin
02-14-2008, 10:16 AM
According to this guy on eBay...this engine has won the Challange the last 2 years. I haven't been paying much attention but has there been LS and L-series engines even involved in this contest? I don't remember reading about any. Unless he's talking about a different contest, but I read Engine Masters Challange as the one hosted by JEGS that PHR has been reporting on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/370ci-Iron-6-Liter-Forged-Short-Block-LS1-LS2-LQ4-LQ9_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ017QQitem Z270210645741QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

TheMonkey
02-14-2008, 10:25 AM
i don't really follow EM, but i reckon he's talking about the engine builder, not the engine.

68Formula
02-14-2008, 10:28 AM
He's saying that BES, who built the engine he is selling, has won Engine Masters.

He is not saying that the engine he is selling won Engine Masters.

trapin
02-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Ahh, I see. Has anyone done an LS engine for that contest yet?

ProdigyCustoms
02-14-2008, 10:39 AM
No, but with the Warhawk block out, ad since they do the Engine Master Dyno runs at World Products, I would look for one this year

Steve1968LS2
02-14-2008, 10:45 AM
No LSx engines are allowed in the EMC.. maybe in the future, but not now or in the past.

trapin
02-14-2008, 10:46 AM
With the kind of power you can get out of these things, it's a wonder we haven't seen any yet.

Bow Tie 67
02-14-2008, 10:48 AM
No LSx engines are allowed in the EMC.. maybe in the future, but not now or in the past.

Whats with that crap?

68Formula
02-14-2008, 10:54 AM
For one, roller cams are no longer allowed.

trapin
02-14-2008, 10:55 AM
No LSX engines are allowed?

That's classic.

What the hell are they so afraid of? LOL!!!

go-fish
02-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Kind of like the Hemi being banned by NASCAR for being way too dominant. What gives?

JMarsa
02-15-2008, 08:08 AM
If Lsx was allowed they'd want to put a carb on it anyway.

--JMarsa

wiedemab
02-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Not that it matters, but BES is about 2 miles from my house.

OK - I'm out. Thanks for letting plop that useless piece of info out there - back to LSX engine discussion. I really didn't know that BES did much work on the LSX engines. Nice to know.

Later,

Brandon

Scott Parkhurst
02-15-2008, 11:44 AM
When I originally wrote the rules, carbs and distributors were mandatory. So, LS engines could not be run.

Simple.

(When you're changing engines on the dyno every 30 minutes, simple is key. Have you ever been able to get an EFI engine hooked up to a dyno in less than 30 minutes?)

~SP~

JMarsa
02-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Nothing wrong with the KISS rule.

If you had a requirement (read: standard) for sensors, fuel system (ex. returnless) and computer I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

--JMarsa

trapin
02-15-2008, 04:08 PM
When I originally wrote the rules, carbs and distributors were mandatory. So, LS engines could not be run.

Simple.

(When you're changing engines on the dyno every 30 minutes, simple is key. Have you ever been able to get an EFI engine hooked up to a dyno in less than 30 minutes?)

~SP~
Well now that you can run a Gen III with a carb, I don't see the need to disallow them any longer. Hopefully this rule will be changed in light of this. No Gen III engines is probably why I don't pay attention to Engine Masters Challange.

Scott Parkhurst
02-18-2008, 08:40 AM
The rules have been changed (at least a little) every year the Challenge has been run. I've got nothing to do with it anymore, but I'm confident those who are running it would love to have it open to more engine families. Variety is what makes it so interesting. The LS market is much more evolved than it was 5 yrs ago, and they hold the EMC at a new location.

I'm sure that if they can do it, they will do it.

If they can't do it yet, it won't be long before they can.

It's not "fear" of LS engines, it's simply a matter of getting things connected and disconnected quickly.

trapin
02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Ahh, I see. Thanks Scott.

Wasn't this held one year at Impastato Racing in Michigan?

Scott Parkhurst
02-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Now it's all run at one facility. We used to have three regional "Qualifiers" and the top engines from each qualifying site would be shipped to a common location for the "Finals". It was a logistical headache. Vince Impastato's place was one of the Regional Qualifying locations one year (2003 I think). I was 'refereeing' at Vinces that year. He was great to work with and his facility was outstanding, which is why it was chosen in the first place.

Once we located and secured a facility with three identical DTS dyno cells and enough room to host all of the entrants, we went with a single location for all the entrants. It was a big improvement. Still - running 40 or so engines in two days is a challenge, and then re-running the top few finalists again on the last day makes for a busy week- especially when the inevitable rules questions surface or there's anything out of the ordinary placed before you. Developing this series was, without question, some of the most difficult and rewarding work I've ever done. I'm proud of the results to this day, and whether people realize it or not, it is having a solid influence on the automotive aftermarket today. The EMC rocks.

~SP~

trapin
02-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Vince's shop is about a mile from my house here in Chesterfield. I've been up there to talk to him a few times. His place IS nice.

83hurstguy
02-20-2008, 08:20 AM
AFAIK, they won't even allow an Olds diesel block to be used... and those are factory blocks that came in production cars :)

Scott Parkhurst
02-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Actually I not only allowed the Olds Diesel block, but encouraged their use when I was there.

The 403s ended up being among the strongest of all the small-blocks- Bill Trovato's entry was really impressive.

trapin
02-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I'd love to see "Wheel 2 Wheel" or "Katech" throw a carbed Gen III into the mix. That would be sweet.

I see no reason why a Gen III mill like this wouldn't meet the criteria.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21920&d=1203294576