PDA

View Full Version : G-mod and Global West arms?

70LS1NOVA
02-14-2008, 06:21 AM
OK, so I bought the global west upper arms only, and the del-a-lum bushings for the lower arms. I have the hotchkis sway bar and the hotchikis lowered springs. Since the subframe is out of the car, it would be a good time to do the G-Mod. Is it still necessary to do the GMod or are the global west arms doing the same mod?

wendell
02-14-2008, 07:16 AM
If folks don't use the "search" feature the site will just go around in circles untill the valuable contributors give up.

70LS1NOVA
02-14-2008, 07:35 AM
yeah, i just searched and found a thread from 05 that talked about a lot of research being done and results might be known in a couple months, just wondering if there was a more recent thread. Links appreciated.

derekf
02-14-2008, 07:44 AM
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21101 would seem to say "Do both", so long as you're not planning to go to a taller spindle.

I queried on "Guldstrand" and "Global West". There were more hits, but that one seemed to be relevant (and search results expire, so I can't just point you at my search)

Marcus SC&C
02-15-2008, 08:27 AM
The G mod actually moves the inner upper A arm pickup (pivot) points vertically. This results in a profound change and improvement in geometry. The GW arms,or anyone elses arms for that matter only connect the pickup points on the cross shaft to the pickup point of the upper ball joint. Since you haven`t moved any pickup points,you haven`t made any change. Do what you`ve always done and you`ll get what you always got.
Not that upper arms aren`t useful,they can be used to add + caster (which is technically moving a pickup point but it`s on a horizontal plane) which usually makes older cars drive better,they can be made shorter to allow for more aggressive - camber settings and the ball joint mounting angle can be changed to accomodate lowered ride heights. The revised alignment will have an tiny incidental effect on the geometry but it`s so small it`s purely academic. Just don`t expect arms to revamp your whole front suspension geometry because they physically can`t.
Revise the geometry with the G Mod and/or tall ball joints or tall spindles,then use the arms to retain full suspension travel without binding and to get help dial in the proper performance alignment to get the most out of the car. Mark SC&C