PDA

View Full Version : Wide band 5 wire O2's the same?

edl406
02-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Im trying not to spend the 500 bucks from fast for an o2 sensor. Now I went to bosch's web site and found this.
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Resources/FAQS/OxygenSensors.htm
which is basically telling me that a 5 wire is a wide band sensor. If some one knows something that I dont , let me know.
Now then, after reading from Bosch's site I figured that Id look around on ebay for newer O2's with the fast connector.
Believe it or not , here is one, for a new honda. It seems that the japanese car mfg.'s are using these, as well as porsch and other german.
Now look at the price difference.
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FS&Product_Code=307000&Category_Code=O2
compared to this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-NTK-OEM-OXYGEN-SENSOR-5-WIRE-03-05-HONDA-ACCORD-V6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247Q QcategoryZ33557QQihZ006QQitemZ160192609175QQrdZ1QQ sspagenameZWD1V

Now unless im totally missing some crutial piece of info, they are the same, Corrrect. Probably both made by Bosch.

Any one have any thoughts?:dunno:

Blown353
02-14-2008, 06:52 AM
The FAST WB02 sensors (actually NTK sensors) have a chip/cal resistor built into the connector... so you can't simply replace them with a generic unit. If the resistance is different on the new sensor (and it probably will be) the ECU will no longer report the correct AFR.

When you buy the WBO2 sensor from FAST they will ask what ECU you are using and also send you a disk to re-flash the ECU for the new sensor cal data.

This was my experience when I had to swap a WB02 sensor on a customer's car using an older FAST box... the sensor's heater shorted internally and needed to be replaced. The new sensor came with a disk to flash the ECU with the new WB02 data and when I picked the old sensor's connector apart it had a chip & resistor in there. Did some digging and it confirmed my suspicions.

Apparently, if you buy a stack of NTK sensors and probe them all on the cal resistor wires and find a sensor with the SAME cal resistor as your current sensor you can simply swap the sensors. Otherwise, you will get false AFR readings unless you buy from FAST and they send you the disk to reflash the ECU. Don't even think about swapping the old cal resistor over to a new parts-store replacement sensor... because the AFR readings won't be accurate anymore.

The older FAST boxes use the expensive NTK L1H1 sensors which were originally developed by Honda. These are expensive no matter what the source. The original application is from Honda Civics and even from a Honda dealer they're in the mid to high $300 range... not including a cal disk for the ECU.

The newer XFI boxes don't have this problem (fortunately.)

edl406
02-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Well I dont have the old one, the guy didnt sell it with the efi system. So i cant get the resistance to even try measuring it, So I have no Idea what resistance is in the ecm. Sounds like i gotta get the fast one. man that sucks. :crying:

Blown353
02-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Well I dont have the old one, the guy didnt sell it with the efi system. So i cant get the resistance to even try measuring it, So I have no Idea what resistance is in the ecm. Sounds like i gotta get the fast one. man that sucks. :crying:

Oops. When you first posted about that ECM for sale both myself and Jody advised you to make sure the WB02 was included. Now you know why!

Knowing the resistance of the old one isn't much good either. You would need to check a large lot of them to find a match and at $200+ per sensor for the over-the-counter replacements that would be an expensive order, and most shops don't allow returns on electrical items.

Yes, you'll have to get a new one from FAST. Call some dealers... they can be had for under $300 (but don't tell anyone I said that... LOL)

MonzaRacer
02-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Thats why I FAST setups are not on my top list anymore. You gotta go back and spend way too much money for THIER parts.
My new favorite are MegasquirtII, open source, open forums, lots of lesser cost and they WORK for less.
and open to mods and unless you buy the latest generation with surface mount technology you can take it with stimulator to a regualr electronics guy and get it diagnosed or do it your self.
I prefer WB controlers that can use WBO2 sensors of several part numbers(as the sensor it self is same just may have different wiring connector).