PDA

View Full Version : will this Idea work???

GUS68
01-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Hey Guys!!! I am planing on putting disks on the front of my 62 chevy bel air. This is just a cruiser, no race track thing, but the drums suck!!! I am thinking of using a 4x4 S-10 front rotor (like an early 90s), this rotor is a hat style that fits over my stock drum hub. And a GM "metric" caliper (like for an 80s olds cutlass, monte carlo, or s-10). I measured the rotor and it is about 10 1/2 in dia, I know this is small compared to your 12 in vette stuff but will it work ok for what I am doing??? I would also like to keep the stock 14 in wheels. I compared the S-10 rotors to an 80s cutlass (or whatever) rotor and the dimensions were the same. I checked the parts book and these rotors and calipers were used for LOTS of GM cars in the 80s and early 90s, so they should be OK, right?
Also I have 11 in drums in the rear, what should I use for a master cyl for this combo??? (I would like to keep it manual brakes ifI could) I have stock disks and drums on my 68 chevelle with a master for a mid 70s camaro with manual drum/disks and they work great, could I use the same master?? Thanks Guys

David Pozzi
01-26-2005, 10:39 PM
a 15/16" bore master cyl may work. A lot depends on your pedal ratio. What is on there now? I know it's probably a single piston MC, but if it's 15/16" which is common, try that and see how it works. There is a residual pressure valve inside the single piston MC's, just use it for a short test no freeway driving or the brakes may heat up. The residual pressure valve can be removed, it's inside the MC all the way forward against the outlet. I'd later sub in a dual circuit master cyl for separate F/R systems and better safety.
Get an adjustable rear prop valve and install it in the rear line.

The metric calipers are smaller bore, like 2.5" the 70's cars use 2 15/16" bore which would usually use a 1" bore master cyl.

A 77 chev Malibu with manual brakes uses a 15/16" bore.
any 70's corvette with manual brakes uses a 1" bore.