PDA

View Full Version : outter wheelhouse replacement

daryn67
01-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Well, the exterior of the car is gone and new sheetmetal is in house. I'm replacing outter wheel houses and am wondering what holds the two halves together. It appears that the outter half has a flap on the lower side front and rear that attach to the inner and a support that is spot welded at the top. Around the attaching lip it appears to have a million small spot welds. Please say it isnt so. I am tired of calling the Snap On man for drill bits and spot weld cutters. I also located several spot welds top center, and allong the front on the wheelhouse in the door jam area, just hoping I have them all removed.

Daryn

baz67
01-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Well I hate to brake the news to you, but yes you need to cut all of those welds. Sorry. It looks like you have the rest covered. Did you check the rocker area?

Brian

ProdigyCustoms
01-26-2005, 09:49 PM
You need to go to the confesional in advance for all the bad words you are going to say, LOL!

daryn67
01-27-2005, 06:19 AM
I was only hoping.....the welds are all smaller then the rst Ive delt with and man are there a bunch. Guess a guy wouldn't replace the outters without pulling the quarter panel would he.

Daryn

ProdigyCustoms
01-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Oh man that would be tough without changing quarters. If it is only the outer wheel edge like usual, I would look at trim them at the first seem at the outer edge and seeming them in. The bitch about changing the entire piece is the front of the wheel house is sandwiched, 3 panels, and the welds are not small. Lucky it is an area that will never be seen when finished, so if you butcher it a bit your first time, no one will know.

baz67
01-27-2005, 08:53 AM
I did my outer without doing the quarter, but I also was doing a minitub. It made it real easy(everything is relative) without the inner in the way.

Brian

daryn67
01-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Well, I drilled several of the small spot welds toward the rear of the wheel house so i could get a chizzle in. The welds are so small that they break loose without distorting the inner housing. I'll keep going as time permits, but it appears the job just got a bit asier.

Daryn