PDA

View Full Version : cheap fuel injection-non pt car

Andrew McBride
01-26-2005, 03:59 PM
I am looking for a cheap and easy alternative for my dads farm truck. It is a 84 chevy 3/4 ton SB350-original motor 4x4 feedtruck. This thing sucks gas. You can literally see the gas guage falling. any cheap alternatives? I would rather not buy any aftermarket kit that requires a laptop.

Thanks, Andrew

TPI Monte SS
01-26-2005, 04:05 PM
I'd swap a TBI setup on from a later-model Chevy truck (around '88-'89). You might be able to adapt it to the factory intake manifold. It would be fairly plug-n-play too, since the chassis and everything are the same. You can pirate the gas tank, fuel lines, etc. from a junkyard truck or parts truck and have at it.

myclone
01-26-2005, 07:54 PM
87 trucks were TBI and still your dads body style so find one of those in the bone yard and swap everything over. Unless the carb that is on your dads truck is out of tune you wont see a huge change in gas milage. Get an OD trans in there and that will help the most.

Fuelie Fan
01-27-2005, 08:40 AM
myclone has a very good point, fuel injection will not work miracles. Do everything you can to figure out WHY you have poor milage. Carb out of adjustment? Timing out of adjustment? What's the condition of your ignition system? What gears are in that 4x4? 4.10's? You may be attacking the wrong thing by going to fuel injection. I think in the end you'd be happier with fuel injection (I'm biased) but it may not be the cure to your specific problem.