PDA

View Full Version : Just another noob

Ama-tour
01-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Hello all,

Been lurking on this BB for a few years off and on. Finally decided to step it up and jump in. Just saying "Howz it" to everybody.

Currently I own a 70SS Chevelle that is in pieces and awaiting some minor patching (cowl drain area and driver side floorpan) and a new frame since my original got twisted somehow. I plan to move this sucker more to the touring side - if I wanted to go fast in a straight line I would move to Japan and get a job as a high speed train engineer) so I will have LOTS of questions in the future. Yes, I WILL use the search function first.

I am going to build a 427 to be backed my the Muncie M22W I have sitting in a crate (eventually will go 5 or 6 speed), 3.42 gears out back, 17 inch wheels (thinking intro's) discs on all 4 corners, GW front suspension w/ del-a-lum's), UMI rear arms poly / rubber, Koni's, boxed and powdercoated frame....I ramble.

Anyhow, just dropping in here to say hello. Some honest to god awesome cars 'round this joint. I know I will learn a bunch from you guys.

bnoon
01-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Welcome! Got any in progress or before pics of the heavy chevy?

Ama-tour
01-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Welcome! Got any in progress or before pics of the heavy chevy?I do - here is a pic that is mid tear down. Will see if I have one when she was on the road as well. Note the Keystone Light hood latch RPO option. You wont see many of those. Cheap beer means more for parts later on.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

wickedmotorhead
01-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Man there's like a Chevelle joining up every day it seems like. :headbang: :git: They are taking over for sure. There are a lot of guys building 70's in particular on here so feel free to ask questions, we're here to help. Keep us posted on the progress. BTW looks like you got a pretty clean chevelle to start with...nice.

USAZR1
01-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Glad to see another A-body owner on the board. Welcome.
Where are you located?

Ama-tour
01-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Glad to see another A-body owner on the board. Welcome.
Where are you located?

Hey Clint!

Think I have caught you on Team Chevelle quite a few times. This is Midnight Marauder, I just did not carry the handle over from Team Chevelle. I am in Tracy, CA.

Thanks for the welcome, Guys. Sorry that pic is so big, I should of resized it.

derekf
01-27-2005, 03:46 AM
Welcome aboard, Ama-tour. Glad to see another A-body.

bnoon
01-27-2005, 07:24 AM
I do - here is a pic that is mid tear down. Will see if I have one when she was on the road as well. Note the Keystone Light hood latch RPO option. You wont see many of those. Cheap beer means more for parts later on.

Sweet pic. What's the RP0 for that option? My '86 TA came with a 12 pack of Miller Genuine Draft for better weight transfer, or as it's better known as RP0 12pkMGD...
:Alchy:

By the way, wickedmotorhead I love your pic of the white Chevelle in your sig. Then I saw the ps someone did... CF fading to flames... :icon996: I found the large version of the pic when I was poking around yesterday and I haven't stopped reading up on Carbon Fiber faux paint finsihes ever since. The best method I've seen so far uses drywall tape to paint dark gray, then silver accents over a black or very dark gray base... moving the drywall tape mesh just a little tiny bit between each coat to give it depth, then tons of clear for even more depth. I keep thinking of CF fading to a traditional single rally stripe on my TA, or perhaps small CF painted nose and sail panel birds or something. That photoshop just looks sick on that Chevelle though. SICK!!!

FoxGranadaChuck
01-27-2005, 07:54 AM
Welcome to our chat-room! :angel: :angel: :angel:
Man, you just had to have a '70 Chevelle. My older brother had one over 20 years ago, and boy does he miss it! Also, I miss it for him.
I would like to build a Pro-Touring '70 Chevelle with a new Corvette LS-6 V-8/6-speed, 17-inch tires/wheels,etc. for him as a tribute to his introducing me to the world of cars. While this car would have modern mechanicals, I would go to great lengths to make it look and feel original as is possible.
But first, I must finish my beloved Cougar!

Ama-tour
01-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Welcome to our chat-room! :angel: :angel: :angel:
Man, you just had to have a '70 Chevelle. My older brother had one over 20 years ago, and boy does he miss it! Also, I miss it for him.
I would like to build a Pro-Touring '70 Chevelle with a new Corvette LS-6 V-8/6-speed, 17-inch tires/wheels,etc. for him as a tribute to his introducing me to the world of cars. While this car would have modern mechanicals, I would go to great lengths to make it look and feel original as is possible.
But first, I must finish my beloved Cougar!
Sweet. That is my plan for the ride (except going pro-touring with the weight of a BB up front seems to be an oddity, seems SB's w/ a power adder of some sort are preferred) but I plan to keep the interior very close to original, with the exception of swapping out the stocker dash insert that houses the gauges to brushed aluminum and having the line-loc button on the stick. New LS6 and a 6 spd would be killer but car came with a BB so I feel inclined to keep a BB under the hood.

USAZR1
01-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Beaux,a 427/T56 combo makes a sweet PT platform,no matter what it's in. Glad to have you aboard.

Ama-tour
01-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Beaux,a 427/T56 combo makes a sweet PT platform,no matter what it's in. Glad to have you aboard.
Thanks, Clint. That is what I am shooting for. If I can pull together the cash by engine build time (read, next tax season) then I am going to ATI pro-charge the 427 as well. Just scored my new frame yesterday, pick it up this weekend so the ball is defintely starting to roll on the project.

wickedmotorhead
01-27-2005, 02:46 PM
I also feel inclined to keep a BB in the 'velle, it just seems right since thats what they were known for. Post a pic of the frame when you get it.

bnoon, thats for the comments. The photoshop was done by me using a rendering done by Kris Horton. I am going to be using a real carbon fiber hood, headlight bezels, center grill section, and chin spoiler and painting over that to leave the front exposed with just a clear coat.

Zefhix
01-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Them damn 70 Chevelles!!!! :) Hey Shane...I'm glad you're doing the bezels ("fender extensions"...whatever you call them) and chin spoiler in CF as well. Ever consider doing the front bumper in CF? Just a thought...

Beaux-welcome to the board..lots of 70 Chevelle info on here, feel free to ask anyone... :cool:

Ralph LoGrasso
01-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Welcome to the site, Ama-tour.