PDA

View Full Version : Painting When It Is Raining

TnBlkC230WZ
02-05-2008, 06:58 AM
I've read you shouldn't paint when it is raining or very humid. Is it ok prime when it is raining? I'm in my garage, so it will be humid. I do have a good fan to vent the garage though.

It is 70 degrees, and I would like to do it while it is warm. It is suppose to drop into the 40's tomorrow.

68fusion
02-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Both days have problems, I would prefer the 40 deg day and heat the garage up. Depending on the type of primer your using, the moisture shouldn't be problem ...as long as it's not poly. Just make sure you use some type of filter/dryer when priming. Hot air in cold air line in floor-makes water! Just remember all the $$ you spend on a paint job is on top of what your puting on now!

-and those orange inline filter balls dont count as a filter/dryer

BlindSideCustoms
02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
you can go buy some toilet paper filters, thats what i call them since the filter that fits inside is the same size, was originally designed to use tp in it as a filter, believe it or not they work pretty good at a home shop or somewhere your not going crazy with painting at. you can pick one up for 30 bucks or so, a couple steps up from the orange filters you spoke of.

astroracer
02-08-2008, 03:56 AM
Back when Laquer was the "norm" it was not a good idea to spray when it was real humid. The laquer would pick up the humidity and cause blushing.
Todays Base Coat/Clear Coat systems, which are catalyst based, do not have the blushing problems related to humidity. In fact, I shot the clear coat on my truck in the middle of a pouring rain... never had any issues. I also liked the fact that the rain kept the dust and bugs down.
I also had a good air/water filter on the gun which is a must if you spray under high humidity.
Mark

NovaMan
02-14-2008, 09:01 AM
I paint all my stuff in the rain, keeps the dust in check. Same as ^^^
I don't have one of those exspensive booths like I had when I was painting those american and blue bird buses, but what I fefab works good as long as its raining out.

novaman