PDA

View Full Version : to power or not to power that is the question

minendrews68
02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm sure this queston has been asked before but being new to the site here goes. I am restoring a 68 Camaro, and I've bought a complete 4 wheel disc brake conversion kit. What are the views of using power brakes to manual in this situation. The car originally had all drum brakes. A lot of pictures I've seen in the magazines show manual. What are your ideas?
Thanks,
Carl

HILROD
02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
I personally think manual brakes on 4 wheel disc cars can work. That being said the pedal effort will be higher, maybe a bit too hard, after being used to any modern car. I've built a few manual systems mostly for straight line cars. All the ones driven on the street have been converted over to power of some sort. It gets hard to remember to be more aware of the pedal effort, after driving another car. At least that's what I've found. After installing Hydoboost on my last few builds, unless you can't have power steering, there aren't many better choices out there.

Vegas69
02-04-2008, 10:37 PM
I am doing it mainly because I love the look of no booster and my engine doesn't have enough vaccuum to run without a canister. I am overkilling the brakes with Wilwood 6 piston big 4 piston rears and 13" rotors and the 7/8 master. You should post more specs on your brakes like rotor thickness and diamter and caliper pistons. I am sure someone will have a similar setup.

Damn True
02-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Mark (from Lateral Dynamics) tried manual on his '69 and didn't like it.

Frank (Prodigy) has run them on cars in the past and did like it.

A matter of taste to a large degree, but having the absolute right setup is key from what I understand especially if you are using more track oriented pads.

6'9"Witha69
02-05-2008, 09:26 AM
It can take more effort for a manual setup but you need more concentration while threshold braking with a power setup. I went manual 8+ yrs ago based on cam size and vacuum. As MCs evolved and I used better lines the braking has gotten better. Just remember that it is about what YOU want based on how YOU will drive it.