PDA

View Full Version : Pt Gto

Little Bob
08-19-2004, 08:11 AM
I would like to introduce myself and my car to the site.

My name is Rob and I'm married and a father of 3. I work for a small engineering firm as a CAD Manager/ Project Designer.

Now for the car, It's a 68 Pontiac GTO convertable. The car itself is a very rare option car. It came with the step-down package. That pacake consisted of a 400 2 bbl with 265 hp. Thier were only 432 of these cars made. The car was given to me by my father when I was 15 or so. Through the yaers it just sat and wasted away. Until I found an artical in Hot Rod Magazine about a 70 GTO that was done up PT style. My plans for the car as follows:

1. Frame cleaned and painted. A full Hotchkis suspension has been installed.
2. The body will get the typical rust repairs welded and finished. The marker lights will all be flush mounted and replaced with LED's. The paint will be a 3 color job. With the top 1/3 covered in HOK Candy Brandy Wine and the botton 2/3's will be covered in HOK Tangerine. With HOK silver flames separating the two colors.
3. The convertable top will not be replaced. I'm going to make car a roadster.
4. The engine will be the 400 with fuel injection and supercharger or turbo. Not sure about that yet.
5. The rear is a 12 bolt.
6. Brakes will be four wheel disk. Just not sure which ones I want to use.
7. Tranny will be the t-56.
8. I don't know what I want to do with the interior yet.
9. Wheels and Tires are going to 18's all around. The tires are going to be some sort of 335/30/18 in the rear and I think a 275 up front.

I'm in the body work stage as this moment. Any ideas or advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

mikesz
08-19-2004, 09:02 AM
:postpics:

Don’t take to much offence to this. I just really wanted to try out this smiley.

Little Bob
08-19-2004, 09:13 AM
I will try to get some pictures up tonight. Is thier a specific method to posting pictures?

mikesz
08-19-2004, 09:26 AM
The forum will host pics for you, 1 meg per user I believe. When you post a reply there is a section for attachments. Click manage attachments, there will be browse buttons there. Browse to the pic on your computer, then click open, then upload. Close that window and submit the reply as normal.

Little Bob
08-19-2004, 10:20 AM
How are these?

derekf
08-19-2004, 10:32 AM
They're great. Dig the car, I'm sure it's going to look great when finished.. but is it my eyes or are those supports bowing? I'd hate for that body to get all twisted on the rotisserie....

Little Bob
08-19-2004, 10:35 AM
They're great. Dig the car, I'm sure it's going to look great when finished.. but is it my eyes or are those supports bowing? I'd hate for that body to get all twisted on the rotisserie....

I'm not sure, I don't remember them looking like that. Thanks for heads up, I'll check them tonight.

mikesz
08-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Nice car. My dad did a 68 GTO convertible. Puke (endora?) green, 400HO, 3spd his her, factory 3.90 gears, supposedly made it pretty rare to. He has since put in a 200r4 trans and will be installing disc brakes up front. He is also looking for a tilt column for the car.

Nice rotisserie. The angle iron you’ve got bracing the car doesn’t look like the strongest stuff in the world though.

Depending on how picky you want to get, how tolerant your neighbors are, and how good your air compressor is, a pressurized can sandblaster can be a great investment.

Edit
Ah, derekf beat me to it. Guess that’s what I get for spell checking. I wanted to suggest a rust stabilizer like coreless from eastwood. Looks like you’ve got some rust going on there.

colt zantop
08-19-2004, 11:46 AM
sound like a sweet ride when its done....keep us updated!

colt45

andrewb70
08-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Good luck on your project! What 70 did you see in Hot Rod? :icon_razz

Andrew

CAMAROBOY69
08-20-2004, 08:36 AM
I would also highly suggest stronger support in there.
Sounds like it will be one heck of a car when finished. Good luck with it and welcome to the site!

Little Bob
08-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Good luck on your project! What 70 did you see in Hot Rod? :icon_razz

Andrew

I'm sorry Andrew, It was your car and it was Popular Hot Rodding. Some time I have mind farts. Your car inspired me to do mine. I hope that I can hit you for advice.

Rob

andrewb70
08-20-2004, 02:55 PM
No problem Rob. Feel free to post questions or email me directly. I am pretty easy to find.

Andrew