PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Texas

RacinJason
01-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Hello to all from Texas...

Since I seen the "Orange Crush" Camaro in one of the hot rod mags years ago I have wanted to build a streetable driver. Let's just say I was hooked, but I couldn't afford my Harley addiction and custom cars at the same time. Now that the Harley is completed (don't tell my wife) and I have slowed down on the spending habits (yeah right) I am looking to get a 1st or 2nd gen Camaro. My car of choice is the '69 Camaro but am torn between it and a early 2nd gen '70-'73.

You guys have some sweet rides, my hats off to everyone of you. I know the countless man-hours envoled and that it takes a lot of $$ and a whole bunch of effort to make these machines perform and look OUTSTANDING!

So here I am looking to get back into an expensive hobby such as PT. I will more than likely start with a "some what" completed car, depending on the dollar amount and the car. Looking to spend low to mid $20,000, then set the stance I want, change wheels, motor upgrades etc... I did learn a long time ago it is sometimes better to let another builder take the first hit on expense then customize from there. As bad as that sounds, it is true.:banghead:

If I get a 1st gen what suspension updates are recommend from you and approx price on parts and the same for you 2nd gen motorheads as well. What are brand names, what are names to stay away from? Obvisouly, I don't want to and can't drop a $100G into a car for an every other day streetable PT machine. What is reasonable? Subframe connectors tie the car together so that might be a good start. I love the cars that are laying frame as well with wide tucked tires. What can and shouldn't be done?

Thanks for the input and I will be visting the site frequently for updates.

Jason

Past rides
1965 C/10 small back window
1966 C/10 big back window fully customized late model efi
1968 GMC fully customized late model efi
1968 Camaro drag pro-street
1970 Camaro drag car
1985 GMC Jimmy efi smallblock V8
1991 Sliverado show truck

class67
02-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Welcome Jason, there are plenty of sponsors on this site that will help you spend your money...lol. Just look aroud the site for ideas in all different subjects and threads, also check out the sponsor sites as well. There are alot of helpful people here.

Boyd
02-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Welcome Jason,

I've seen you on the 67-72chevytrucks board. You'll love this site.

NOT A TA
02-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Welcome Jason! I've got first and second gens, you can built a nice streetable driver out of either. Use the search function to check for threads on your particular questions, you'll find a lot of info here.