PDA

View Full Version : Circle Track 9" Rears

JMarsa
01-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm debating whether to purchase a 9" instead of a 10/12 bolt to camber for my PT/autoX/track day Nova project. So far it seems the 9" will be cheaper.

The circle track vendors seem to have the best prices and lots of experience on the cambering part.

What's the technical/mechanical difference with these types of circle track class rears?

Super Speed Way
BGN (Busch Grand National?)
GN (Grand National?)
Wide Five
Short Track

It seems that the axle snouts are the main difference. Once you choose a style match the axle type and hubs. I'll end up calling some vendors soon, but I'd like to research a little first so I don't sound like an idiot on the phone. Any input or direction for resources is most appreciated. Vendor experience feedback is welcome as well.

--JMarsa

andrewb70
01-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Just remember that those parts are not designed for drag racing.

Andrew

JMarsa
01-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the reply Andrew. I'll probably never get the car to a strip. The closest strip is about 35 miles away and I'm not really into drag racing, I'm more of a fast corner type of guy.

--JMarsa

wendell
01-26-2005, 05:24 AM
J,
Looks like you've been checking out the SCP catalog. I'm 90% sure that SS,BGN and GN are the three levels of quality/strength that SCP offers. I don't know were the short track fits in. By definition, the short track should be the toughest because the bull rings are the most demanding on equipment. Give them a call and no one will laugh at you.

Wide five is a unique hub set up you don't want to mess with(but a wide five street car would look amazing).

Having a degree or so of rear camber would be great if set up correctly. Just make sure that SCP thinks it will live long enough for you. Keep us updated.
Jensen

JMarsa
01-27-2005, 12:08 PM
I called Stock Car Products and spoke to Neil. He was very helpful and explained the differences in the rears. Basically, the super speedway rears are the only ones to consider for a car that will see street action. Unless you have a sub 2500 lb car with low lateral loading, then there are other choices. For my cambered rear application he suggested a going with a 3-piece drive plate as opposed to a heat treated drive plate and cambered axles. I'll spend more on the drive plate, but I'll have a better selection of axles. This means I'll have to use a 5x5 hub unless I can find a super speedway hub in 5x4-3/4". No interest in adapters. Wheels now become a problem because of the 5x5 bolt pattern. I already have a pair of mint Z06 wheels I was going to use. I might have to get a set of custom wheels built which won't be less than the $250 per wheel I've got into my current set. More later maybe.

--JMarsa

MoeBawlz
02-01-2005, 02:03 PM
I just started recently looking at a circle track rear as well. Let me know what you come up with, im very curious about this.

scogin918
02-02-2005, 02:39 PM
i just purchased a road course rear end from www.musclemotorsports.com. it is sweet. Nodular case, Wilwood 4 piston brakes, billet caps, detoit locker, floating hubs, etc. The Nascar hubs are 5 on 5. Moser makes a 5 on 4 3/4 hub, but the snouts are different. I'm sending my wheels back to Fikse so they can look at swapping out the center section of the wheel with the correct pattern. the road course hub ends are straight up. Other rear hends may have the center section off too far to one side. I have the Hot Rods To Hell truck arm rear suspension, so this ties in perfect.

MoeBawlz
02-02-2005, 04:30 PM
how much power can those take off of a launch though??? I do intend to have a fair amount of power and the car will be at the strip a bunch too. So i dont want to get a rear end thats going to increase cornering but snap in a launch.

JMarsa
02-02-2005, 07:31 PM
scogin918,

I checked out the site. In the drivetrain section here:

http://www.musclemotorsports.com/drivetrain-rear-ford-9--housing-only.html

it says: Oval Track Rears are Cambered out on Right Rear and in on Left Rear.

Road Course Rears are cambered out on both sides

Speedway Rears are not cambered at all. (straight up both sides)

First, I'm confused on how they describe the difference on the cambering of the oval vs. the road course housings. :dunno:

Second, you wrote yours is "straight up" which I assume is non cambered correct?

Also to note, regarding the pinion offsets you mentioned per: http://www.stockcarproducts.com/rear25.htm

Remember also that the tire stagger gives you natural camber. Narrow rear ends with large amounts of stagger have lots of natural camber. Conversely, wider rear ends with small amounts of stagger will have less natural camber.

Just a pointer to pass along. :secret:

So please tell me more about your rear. :spank2: no, I mean on your car :) what snouts and hubs are on it? What car are you working on? From my conversation with Neil at stockcarproducts only "speedway" rears should be considered for full size/weight cars. The difference in the housings I'm told is the snout and hub. Also, I can't find a reference on Moser's site for the 5x4-3/4 hub you mentioned. I called and asked at stockcarproducts (www.stockcarproducts.com), quarter master (www.racingclutches.com), and speedway engineering (www.1speedway.com) if a 5x4-3/4 hub was available or compatible with the speedway rear and all said no, nor could a speedway hub be machined for that bolt circle because there would not be enough much material surrounding the bearing.

I've got a HTH truckarm ready to go in, is yours in already? I'd like some feed back on how your install went.

MoeBawlz, the way I look at it, it's a 9". Unless you've got all lightweight parts like thin gears and housing, gun drilled axles ect. why would the rear not take the abuse any other street 9" does? Worried? Add a brace and better pinion support. I will admit though, the race stuff will need maintenance (like packing the wheel bearings ect.) and throw grease that a factory built housing won't but who drives 20K miles a year to worry about it?

--JMarsa

MoeBawlz
02-03-2005, 08:16 AM
That was kind of what i was thinking, my only worry about it snapping was from the cambered wheels, i figured that woudl add more stress to the ends of the axle possibly causing them to fail under heavy loads, like that of a drag strip. Especially when bolting up a set of slicks.

scogin918
02-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Mine is a speedway. Sorry about the confusion. The rear end housing is about the same length as a stock rear end, minus maybe a 1/2 inch or so. You are correct in that noone will machine a hub with the correct bolt pattern for that snout. The guy at Moser said there were two different snouts. The smaller snout must be used in a different application than Nascar. I have a '69 Camaro with full interior and 10 point chrome moly cage. I'm pleased with the HTH kit as a whole. Some of the welds could've been nicer. Make sure either you or the shop who installs it knows what they are doing. I'm having some fitment problems with the main crossmember(it's hanging a little low). Other than that I can't wiat to get it out on the road. Making adjustments is relatively easy as everything can be easily changed with a ratchet or wrench.

Parts Abuser
02-05-2005, 07:03 AM
JMarsa,
A machine shop should have no trouble machining your hubs for a new bolt pattern. One of my customers bought some SCP 5 on 5 hubs and I put them in the mill and put another set of holes with the 5 on 4 3/4" pattern. No big deal.

By the way, a cambered rear will be less than optimum off the line as the tire contact patch won't sit entirely flat on the ground. Just something to keep in mind.
Vince

airrj1
02-15-2005, 07:12 AM
There are 5 x 4 3/4 hubs listed on Stock Car Products website. Actually they are on Sale right now. As far as I can tell they are what you are looking for. Maybe a call back would be in order.

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/rear12e.htm

scogin918
02-18-2005, 07:53 AM
that is a different hub than mine. notice it did not say "Nextel Cup" in the ad. Still, it would be great if it would thread on the snout at the end of the housing.