PDA

View Full Version : What Coolent would be correct?

chevymike
08-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Hey Guys, I am getting close to firing up my Camaro and have a question about what coolent should be used. It is a ZZ4 with alum. heads as well as a Be Cool alum. radiator.

When I was at NAPA last night, there was 3 different types of coolent based on the year of the car (Zexel brand). Each was a different color too.

What's the coolent of choice for the Pro-Touring crowd? :help!:

Matt@RFR
08-19-2004, 08:16 AM
You're in SanDiego, huh? Distilled water and maybe some "water wetter".

chevymike
08-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Those are already on my list. I was thinking something like a 70% distilled water/ 28% coolent/ 2% (one bottle) Water wetter. This was simular to what I ran in my '92 Camaro and it worked great. I'm just not sure what brand or type of coolent since there are more types out then the last time I had to do this. Thanks.

CarlC
08-19-2004, 03:20 PM
A standard ethylene glycol (the green stuff) will work fine. Prestone, Zyrex, etc. all have additive packages that meet OEM requirements and standards. Brands can be mixed as well in the green family. The other long life (Dexcool) coolants have drawbacks that IMO not worth the risk.

Deionized water shoud also be used. Anywhere around 30-50% ethelene glycol should work fine. Matt's suggeston on using Water Wetter only should work fine also but you may want to check with the manufacturer to confirm how long the anti-corrosion package is good for. Ethylene glycol coolant systems require changing every two years.

chevymike
08-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Great Carl. Just the info I needed. I'll stick with the tried and true green stuff. Yep, know about changing on a regular bases. Thanks again. :jump:

porschev8
08-21-2004, 10:42 PM
- Premix 50/50 normal green Prestone with Distilled water ONLY!

- Mountain Spring water, Purified water, and Deionized water will NOT work.

- You should check the cooling system for Electrolysis and remove any brass fittings that are in direct contact with your aluminum radiator.

-Tim

TheRoaringEagle
10-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Hi, I never heard of using distilled water exclusively with coolant. I always used Prestone and tap water off the faucet. Is that terribly wrong to do?

What does distilled water do?

Matt@RFR
10-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Tap water has lots of nasties in it that like to eat aluminum.

Distilled water doesn't.

TurboLark
10-15-2004, 03:11 PM
I never use "coolant" or "antifreeze". I use distilled water(better heat transfer than with glycol type stuff) and water wetter(for pump lubrication and to break the surface tension of the water= better heat transfer).
In So Cal it doesnt get cold enough for anti freeze, and the stuff in the bottles just makes heat transfer worse for cooling.

nancejd
10-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Has anyone used the premixed stuff? Sure seems like that would be a whole lot less hassle.

TurboLark
10-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Has anyone used the premixed stuff? Sure seems like that would be a whole lot less hassle.
If you need the antifreeze properties, and dont mind paying for water..go for it.