PDA

View Full Version : 67 firebird suspension options

67firebird467
01-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Hello Everyone, I am new to this group and I know there will be many different opinions. What is the best suspension for the money? I have seen Waynes site and it looks wonderful, not sure if I want to invest that much. Are there any packages that provide streetable handling at a reasonable price? Everyones feedback will be welcome, I just got the car back from paint and the 467 motor is being built, so I really need to get the suspension portion of the build going.

Thanks

Doug

Flyboy
01-25-2005, 04:11 AM
All right! Another Doug with a 67. Right on! :smoke:

I'm in the process of determining what i'm going to do about suspension myself. What i'm probably going to wind up doing is going with Detroit Speed and Engineering's coilover conversion kit (http://www.detroitspeed.com/FrontSuspension10.html) and run the QA1 coilovers up front, and purchase Wayne's C4 IRS install kit (only) for the rear and purchase a C4 IRS locally. Not 100% sure that's what i'm going to do just yet, but that's really the only setup that's within the reach of my extremely "modest" budget thus far. It should definetely be a major improvment over the stock handling characteristics of the car.

Just thought i'd throw my own idea out there for kicks and giggles. Hope you're able to find a good setup that suits your needs! :candle:

Roadrage David
01-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Hello Everyone, I am new to this group and I know there will be many different opinions. What is the best suspension for the money? I have seen Waynes site and it looks wonderful, not sure if I want to invest that much. Are there any packages that provide streetable handling at a reasonable price? Everyones feedback will be welcome, I just got the car back from paint and the 467 motor is being built, so I really need to get the suspension portion of the build going.

Thanks

Doug Doug i got a 68 bird with a 462 (chek prodject updates) go for the stage IV kit from" Performance Suspention Componends" fore a 1000 usd you get EVERYTING you need and i meen EVERYTING!!!!!!!

Tom Welch
01-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Contact Guldstrand Motorsports, Speedtech Performance, Global West, PST like Roadrage David said. Read Dave Pozzi's info on first gen suspensions. It is gold. Also if money is easy check out Detroit Speed and Engineering. I used Guldstrand's big block springs and their Guldstrand mod template to lower the upper control arm mounting points. Poly bushings recommended by Guldstrand, solid subframe bushings from Speedtech. I decided to use the stock upper and lower control arms with new Moog components. For steering I have used a 78 T/A quick ratio steering box with the long pitman arm. I havent decided on the swaybar yet. I will maintain the leafspring rear suspension in modified form. Hope this helps. By the way, my 67 Firebird will be running a 7.0 litre or 428 Pontiac engine, 700r4 trans, 9 inch Ford posi, I cant wait to burn the first set of tires off.

Marcus SC&C
01-25-2005, 06:38 PM
There are a lot of different ways to go with a 1st gen. The best one for the money is tough. Most of the classic muscle cars have steering and geometry issues (backward camber curves,terrible bumpsteer etc.). The general aftermarket approach is to stiffen the car up with higher rate springs,big bars and more or less ignore those issues. Typical aftermarket tubular upper arms look neat and add a couple degrees of + caster. We generally like to address the geometry and steering issues *first*,then embellish with bars,springs etc. and it`s all gravy. You might want to check out our Street Comp Stg.2 package at www.SCandC.com We`ve done customer`s cars with just cut factory big block coils,stock multi leafs out back and KYB shocks and gotten great results for low bucks. Put it together using the Guldstrand mod,a complete set of performance springs,a 1" front bar ,adj. QA1 shocks all round and you`ll have a pretty serious corner carver that drives as well as a modern performance car. Of course I`m more than a little biased. ;) Marcus SC&C

67firebird467
01-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Thank you all for your opinions. My inital feelings were pretty close to Doug's first post. I like the idea of IRS kit from Wayne and from what I have read from the numerous posts is that the QA1 maybe for me. Dave, I will look into the kit you recommend. Tom, I would love to see your car when your finished, I decided to get a T-56 viper trans instead of the automatic. I was unaware of using a later T/A's steering box, has anyone looked into a rack and pinion setup? Marcus, you sound like a very wise man, I will probally be picking your brains in the future. I am sure your setup is very good, do you think a dana 44 could handle 500 hp? I trying to decide between the IRS and a good 12 bolt or 9" rearend. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Doug

MrQuick
01-25-2005, 11:29 PM
if you decide on an IRS set up go with a Viper 44.It will handle 500HP no problem...i've got the PN's you may need. Everything to do a 44 diff is around $1200. Abit more if you go with the cooler.
Looking at your needs and what your building the car for is a good start.

Marcus SC&C
01-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Agreed,the 44 will handle 500hp and more with street tires. I personally haven`t seen a really well designed R&P for 1st gens yet. I suspect that to do a really good one it will no longer be a "bolt in" kit.
IRS vs. a stick axle is a tough one. Wayne makes nice stuff. If you`re refering to his C4 IRS kit it should be pretty good,although the C4 IRS isn`t perfect. A good 3 link road race style rear suspension and 12 bolt or 9" would likely handle as well and plant power better in a straight line but the IRS would be more at home on uneven roads and rough surfaces and of course much cooler. :) Marcus SC&C

67firebird467
01-27-2005, 09:55 PM
I agree Marcus, the cool factor does come into play. I think the C4 IRS is the way to go. Most of the driving I am going to do is on winding roads and to the car shows; not the track. I was tempted to keep the job simple by using a 12 bolt, but then again, simple doesnt' have the cool factor does it :o)

Doug

Roadrage David
01-30-2005, 01:04 AM
Contact Guldstrand Motorsports, Speedtech Performance, Global West, PST like Roadrage David said. Read Dave Pozzi's info on first gen suspensions. It is gold. Also if money is easy check out Detroit Speed and Engineering. I used Guldstrand's big block springs and their Guldstrand mod template to lower the upper control arm mounting points. Poly bushings recommended by Guldstrand, solid subframe bushings from Speedtech. I decided to use the stock upper and lower control arms with new Moog components. For steering I have used a 78 T/A quick ratio steering box with the long pitman arm. I havent decided on the swaybar yet. I will maintain the leafspring rear suspension in modified form. Hope this helps. By the way, my 67 Firebird will be running a 7.0 litre or 428 Pontiac engine, 700r4 trans, 9 inch Ford posi, I cant wait to burn the first set of tires off.
.......... Tom talk about waighting !!!! do you belive i was hospitalized for nearly 2 weeks on the harth monitor!!!! in the end it prooved to be hyperventilation, due to the 24 hour a day stress , thingking about it. this fricking prodject got so out of hand that i cant iven start to list, was is and will be done before its reddy , it hase become a obsesion for me , i resendly took a step back in my mind lololol anyway its good to see some poncho guys useing PONCHO engines insted of chevys ... i like the 428 your haveing its very good for the street / highway . i got a 462 with the 4.25 stroke masife torque and hp can peak rev it to 6000 rpm , neckst engine for my 69 GTO will be a 440 witchs acording to my engine builder it hase the best stroke x bore ratio .(indian adventure II block , big bore short stroke) for rpm/torque/hp . anyway enoughf ramblings from me lolol

yody
01-30-2005, 07:11 PM
hey whats wrong with using a 454 in my cama....i mean firebird! :)

Roadrage David
01-31-2005, 03:30 AM
hey whats wrong with using a 454 in my cama....i mean firebird! :)
the Engine you have looks and is tremendes!! looking at the power output , the car is second to none as wel, im just a "purist" in the sens of driving a car with the same brand engine thats all .. it thusend make sens to me(nothing personal) to stick a chebby in a poncho!!!! consider yourself as a ponchebby driver hihihihihiiiii im sure it hauls ass .

yody
01-31-2005, 08:14 AM
i know i was just kidding. I like pontiac motors too, i had built a really strong 400 before this motor. they are just really heavy, make so much torque, and header bolts are a pain in the azz to put in!

Roadrage David
01-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Yody wat do you meen by heavy!!!!

Tom Welch
02-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Hey David, glad you are ok, is Jim Lehart building your engine? I will be happy as can be when I finish my Firebird. Just got the diff redone with new bearings and seals. It will almost fit without modification. A little tweaking and its there, man o man I'm ready to twist that 428. I always read with interest all the firebird related stuff, especially the Pontiac specific threads. Goodluck to all. Tom