PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro A/C Removal

John 69 Camaro
01-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi, This is my initial posting, so I'd like to say hi to everyone. I have a 69 Camaro with factory A/C that doesn't work. I figure to remove the entire set-up and eventually replace it with a Vintage Air Gen IV. What is the easiest way to remove the Evaporator Assembly and the unit under the dash? Thanks John

MrQuick
01-26-2008, 10:50 PM
One screw at a time. But seriously, it would be alot easier to do with the hood and fender removed. But can be done with just the fender well removed.

Undo all your lines, electrical harnesses and vac lines.
Remove all the 7/16" head screws from the engine compartment side and the forward section will come out, then you can drop out the rest of the housing from the inside.

Save everything cause theres someone out there that will pay money for it all.

dipren443
01-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi, This is my initial posting, so I'd like to say hi to everyone. I have a 69 Camaro with factory A/C that doesn't work. I figure to remove the entire set-up and eventually replace it with a Vintage Air Gen IV. What is the easiest way to remove the Evaporator Assembly and the unit under the dash? Thanks John

I literally just went through this on my 2nd Gen Camaro. I cannot say it will be EXACTLY like mine, but I was able to remove the entire assembly underneath the hood without removing the fender. I did drop as many of the inner fender bolts as I possibly could. If you do not want to remove the fender, be prepared to contort yourself. I didn't really want to have to refit all of my panels, so I decided to tough it out. Small trick that will help immensely. SPLIT THE CASE UNDERNEATH HOOD AND TAKE IT OUT IN TWO PIECES.

Interior...most of the dash will have to come out to remove all of the ducting. Do yourself a favor and go download the installation instructions off of VA's website.

http://vintageair.com/downloads.asp

I am not at the point where I have started installing anything yet though. So that is about all I have for you.

Oh, and the factory service manual comes in super handy. It will help fill in details that Vintage Air left out.

John 69 Camaro
01-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks Guys. I plan to begin the process tomorrow. John