PDA

View Full Version : hood scoop

megaladon6
01-23-2008, 06:18 PM
i've come to realize that i won't find a good price on a monte ss cowl induction hood. as such i was wondering if there is a good way to make my own. i've seen the fiberglass cowls and scoops but do not know how well they stay on or hold up. i need something that won't break the first acorn that drops on it or the first rabid squirrel that jumps on it. it would also be good if a novice body guy can do it. any suggestions?

Cruiser
01-23-2008, 08:18 PM
I had VFN fiberglass sell me the center section of a stinger hood. It was centered on the hood and the hood area it was going to mount to ground to metal. The stinger section was ruff sanded, then some holes drilled to mount it. I then took 3M's Panel Bond and put it on the hood and the stinger section. After lining it up with the holes it was screwed down.
Panel bond was used around the edge as a fillit. After it dried the screws were removed and the holes filled with panel bond, aluminum tape was used on the bottom of the hood to keep the stuff from oozing out the screw holes. It was let to dry. Then sanded and the edges blended.

My painted screwed up the stripe. It was not supposed to go down the sides of the cowl, nor was it supposed to be on the stinger part of the hood. It's supposed to be just on the center section of the cowl and be like a short single first gen Z/28 stripe. I hope to have it back soon and done right......I hope!!

If I can do it you can do it. It seems to be very strong. Not saying you have to use a stinger style but it might look cool on a Monte!!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/01/P1000150-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/01/P1000149-1.jpg

liquidh8
02-04-2011, 11:41 AM
HOw has your hood held up over the years? I was thinking of doing the same thing for my century wagon, using the adhesive and all? Thanks

Jon Clough
02-22-2011, 09:07 PM
I say, save your pennies and just buy a steel hood

cobragt
02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
you could always get a camaro hood and cut the scoop off and graft it to your hood.

justasquid
02-22-2011, 11:50 PM

this would be my opinion as well. Your probably looking at nearly 100 dollars for a decent cowl section. Then probably another 100 in materials to mount it properly, and thats not including the time to do so. Then, you still have the issue of having two different materials over an engine that will be constantly changing the temperature of the hood. It may hold up well, but the chances are pretty good you will eventually start seeing seperation issues in the paint or mating surfaces. Its also really hard to make a stick on cowl not look like it was a stick on cowl, especially with the hood open. It takes a lot of work to make one look correct. The real issue is those cowl sections are generic and have to be trimmed to fit your car. Even once trimmed, they normally don't follow the lines of the car very well where a steel one would. Also, being a novice bodyman, it can go wrong pretty quick. People that do this for a living have already been down the road of mistakes and can make things happen. People like us, really can't afford the mistakes. You could potentially run into issues that will cost you as much as if you just dropped the money on a new hood.

The other thing to consider is you may be able to sell your original hood. I have no idea what they sell for, but its a thought. Personally though, I would want to keep the original and the option in case you ever sell the car. Not everyone likes cowl hoods, and it would be nice to have the option of both hoods.

I think the only time I would suggest making your own is if no one makes the cowl hood for your car. But you have a ton of options out there with that car.

liquidh8
02-23-2011, 01:52 PM

I would, if they made a steel hood, or steel scoop, in that stinger style. If you guys know of a steel version, give me a link. Cowl hoods are played out, and old hat to me, I have had every height on every car I've owned.