PDA

View Full Version : whakin the top

tbair
01-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey All Im sure this seems like a crazy idea to most of you. But Im thinking of cutting the top off my 62 impala and making a roadster out of if. What kind of extra bracing will be needed in order to do this and where would the bracing need to go any ideas. Thanks Tim

Restomod
01-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Before anything,what top is it? Sedan,Hardtop,Bubble top???

Bill Howell
01-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Before anything,what top is it? Sedan,Hardtop,Bubble top???

I hear you resto, surely it isn't a bubbletop!!!!

Tim, those years came in converts and if I remember right the differance in the frame was some extra bracing near the driveshaft. If you can find a true ragtop and look at the frame, it would be helpful. Those years had that odd wishbone frame so they were fairly stout anyway. You should not have to do alot. Just please tell us it isn't a 62 bubbletop.

tbair
01-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey, Guys relax its not a bubble top. Im not completely nuts. The bodys off the frame now so nows is the time to make plans if this is what I decide to do.

68fusion
01-25-2005, 05:14 PM
doin a 63 convert right now...can look at the chassis to see if ya want or if they are the same?

have 68 f body convert and the only diff is the x brace in about the end of trans area about a foot and half long...ugly too wish I had made one to tka it's place, but everybody will know it WAS a convertible...

tbair
01-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks 68fusion, Any info would be great. my frame has 1 body mount in front 1 at the rear axle 1 on the rear rail and 1 on the very tail of the rear rail. on each side.

69injun
01-27-2005, 05:45 AM
Well, I have a 69 convert firebird and there are alot of differences. The plate under the car is one, there is extra bracing in the floor to tie this brace to the rocker boxes. also I beleve the rocker boxes are heavier guage and may have a extra piece in it. Also the rear seat brace (behind the rear seat back) is a solid piece that is pretty heavy. to give you an idea the convertible f-body is several hundred pounds heavier than a hardtop, even though the weight of the top is gone. Also if you can find any reading about the development of the c4 corvette that was a big part of there design work, to make the t-top a targa style. they had a lot of trouble getting the body stiff enough with the lose of the roof tie in, and they fixed it by adding bracing behind the seats.