PDA

View Full Version : XV carb conversion for 6.1 ?

datsbad
01-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Can anyone shed any light on this product. I am thinking of using it to keep some cost down and keep the ease of tunning on my 6.1
Seems i wouldnt have the cost of a FI gas tank(there exspnsive in this configuration)

thanks for any help.

datsbad
02-23-2008, 06:03 PM
WOW, no one evens looks in this section huh?

rjsjea
02-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Other than the fuel pump/tank, XV's carb kit is just about the same cost as FAST, MP or AEM FI stuff. Dont know anyone using XV's kit. I think MP (mopar performance) has a fuel pump kit to be used with the factory tank on older cars....puttin the pump on the frame rail.

check out www.moderhemimuscle.com (http://www.moderhemimuscle.com) Dave Weber runs it and knows all about these new Hemi's

--Rob

datsbad
02-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Other than the fuel pump/tank, XV's carb kit is just about the same cost as FAST, MP or AEM FI stuff. Dont know anyone using XV's kit. I think MP (mopar performance) has a fuel pump kit to be used with the factory tank on older cars....puttin the pump on the frame rail.

check out www.moderhemimuscle.com (http://www.moderhemimuscle.com) Dave Weber runs it and knows all about these new Hemi's

--Rob

Here is the info I know as of now. I have spoke to dave Weber also

XV's kit (not available yet) hopefully priced the same as the 5.7 kit at around $2700
I would need a carb stlye fuel pump and regulator and lines, this cost couldnt cost more than $500
I could also sell my 6.1 intake and recoupe some money there

So , $2700 XV
$500 FUEL SYSTEM PARTS
Sell off 6.1 injection intake -$300 est.
Total $3000

To go the AEM route is MUCH more

AEM with tb and all acc needed $4000
Cam kit valve springs $500 est..
Fuel injected stainless gas tank $1200 or mod old $500

Total $5700 or $5000 with old tank

That is quite a bit more. Question is , is it worth it for a low buck build and this car ?

Any thoughts?

rjsjea
02-23-2008, 08:52 PM
That AEM price seems high....

I am gonna be buying a 6.1 for my demon this summer I was lookin at mopar Performance stuff

TB, Billet rail, fuel regulator,EMS, Engine Harness and 6.1 longblock for about $9,000. Then I have to deal with the fuel pump/tank.

6.1 longblock is $5,400 and all the accessories are $3,600. MP's ECU is said to be completely programmable now......

Worth it???......probably not, but I am too far along to quit now!! Done the suspension, smoothed the firewall, minitub, roll cage etc......

datsbad
02-23-2008, 08:59 PM
That AEM price seems high....

I am gonna be buying a 6.1 for my demon this summer I was lookin at mopar Performance stuff

TB, Billet rail, fuel regulator,EMS, Engine Harness and 6.1 longblock for about $9,000. Then I have to deal with the fuel pump/tank.

6.1 longblock is $5,400 and all the accessories are $3,600. MP's ECU is said to be completely programmable now......

Worth it???......probably not, but I am too far along to quit now!! Done the suspension, smoothed the firewall, minitub, roll cage etc......

I got a complete engine with low miles for $4000, and I need a new gas tank anyway , I could leave it stock for the carb set up or have Rick make it work for injection.

The AEM seems high also, but per Daves conversation since he has done many I think he would be right.
There is cheaper stuff but they are not complete and he says that I would end up being at $4000 till done with all accersories. He also said that MP's stuff is not as complete as this AEM set he offers and I would end up adding on to MP stuff anyway .

I dont know I guess in the end it looks like injection is going to cost me about 3-4 k more if I want it injected.

rjsjea
02-23-2008, 09:10 PM
My reasoning for goin with a new hemi was for the fuel injection........if I wanted a carb, I would build a smblk or bgblk. But it's hard to justify $$$ w/ a car that doesnt have as much mass appeal.

I just wish mine would come together as fast as you got that one together.

Bruning Auto Design
03-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Rob, give me a call before you order all the accessories... Not using a lot of the factory 6.1 stuff (water pump, intake, etc...)

rjsjea
03-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Rob, give me a call before you order all the accessories... Not using a lot of the factory 6.1 stuff (water pump, intake, etc...)

:) .........we should have a few more things to talk about soon

Bruning Auto Design
03-17-2008, 09:58 PM
:) .........we should have a few more things to talk about soon

Looking forward to it :smoke: And a simple ems system for the 6.1 too :)

rjsjea
03-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Looking forward to it :smoke: And a simple ems system for the 6.1 too :)

pm sent.....

Bruning Auto Design
03-24-2008, 09:41 AM
came across this link for complete 6.1 crate motors w/ems and all....

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4112886&an=0&page=0#Post4112886

"6.1 Hemi crate engines are now available from
Mopar Performance

P5155067

Includes production 6.1 Hemi engine assembly, cable operated 80mm throttle body (P5153689),
Billet fuel rail and regulator kit (P5153783), programmable Engine
Management System/EMS computer (P5153528), and engine wiring
harness (P5153530AB).

Conservatively rated at “425 HP”, each engine is synched up, dyno calibrated
and dyno tested with the same computer and wiring harness it is shipped with.

Want to change the cam later? Supercharge it? Ported heads? Nitrous? Turbo? Stroker? Whatever you want to do, the EMS system allows full adjustability to get the proper tune up for your specific modifications.

The 6.1 Hemi crate motor carries a limited 90 day warranty."

Rolling_Thunder
03-24-2008, 09:12 PM
I plan on running my 6.1 Hemi with a simple EFI system... Already had my charger set up for EFI on a Big Block... went with Aeromotive stuff.... I'll use a MSII instead of the EMS as i already have it...

BLWN1
04-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Where do you get a 6.1 for 4k? Was that everything? Wonder when MSD will bring a carb controller out like the lsx setup?

Rolling_Thunder
04-21-2008, 12:59 AM
well - turns out the MSII will be a little more work than i thought with the cam trigger system on the hemi... looks like i might be going with the MP programmable EMS... It sucks that i'll be spending more on the computer than i did for the engine though :(

BLWN1
05-11-2009, 07:36 PM
How did this turn out?

rjsjea
05-12-2009, 03:48 PM
How did this turn out?

He used an AEM controller for the efi. No carb

Rolling_Thunder
05-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Well I have my 6.1L in the Charger - ended up going with a factory PCM and a wiring harness I am making. and just so everyone knows - the MP controller is made by AEM