PDA

View Full Version : Front Camaro shocks

whytry
01-24-2005, 03:41 PM
My Camaro has the stance I want, but I am trying to find a set of relatively stiff shocks on the downside (recoil I think)... Basically the problem I am noticing right now is the shocks I am running now(cheap Kragen specials) seem to have a lot of play on the down and the tires rub a little on the inner fenderwells. Any recommendations? Trying to do this on a budget, so a full coilover DSE conversion is out of the question.... (although I wish I could :( )

Thanks,

baz67
01-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Brad, you need stiffer springs. What spring rate is on your car now? The function of shocks is to dampen or control the motion of the suspension after it has been put into movement. You can get the correct ride height with stiffer springs.
Brian

baz67
01-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Brad, some more thoughts. What part and where are they rubbing in the fenderwell? Is it happening when the tires are turned or straight? What is your camber set at? If it is too much it could cause issues in full bump. How about the backspaceing on the rims? If it is too deep it could cause all sorts of rubbing issues.

My previous post may be bit confusing on the function of the shock. This may be a better explanation. When a spring compresses it creates alot of kinetic energy. It is hard to get rid of that energy in a way that is useful for a PT car to use. The way the spring does it is by oscillating up and down. That is way a car will bounce more with bad shocks. The function of the shock is to take that kinetic energy stored in the spring and dampen it as the springs rebounds. That absorbed energy is converted to heat.

One function of the spring is to control suspension movement. So, the short answer is yes a stiffer shock could help you in the short term, but it is a band-aid solution at best. If everything else checks out fine then I feel a higher spring rate is the best solution.

Brian

zbugger
01-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Brian, you sure think a lot. Good words though.

Brad, for a quick, inexpensive fix, put a set of KYB's on the car. That'll stiffen it up. You're gonna want to be looking into why it's rubbing, where it's rubbing, and how to fix that soon though. Also, start looking into some better shocks after that.

whytry
01-26-2005, 09:56 AM
The tires rub while driving straight. The springs that are in the car now are the Moroso Trik Springs. They are pretty soft and lift the front end good. I had some other springs and did not like the ride, the front end did not lift much at all this caused the rear end to be everywhere.... Example, at 35 mph if I got on it hard the tires would break loose and burnout. Which don't get me wrong it pretty f-n cool, but when trying to race someone does not help my cause.

Rick Dorion
01-26-2005, 10:58 AM
I had to go with 1* negative camber and replace the top inner fender bolts with button heads to cure rubbing. This is with GW springs.

68fusion
01-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Sounds like the rear rate is too high in relation to the front. ?The "burnout" effect maybe due to a quick load of the stiffer rear and resulting rebound rub on deceleration or braking?
I know from messing around with some circle track stuff and shocks that about any spring response can be controled with shocks...kinda
I dont know if you can run them or what sub aarm config you have but bilstien has good shocks that you can valve anyway you like. You can change valve stacks to control bump, rebound ...make it a linear, digressive or progressive shock. I dont know why so many people buy QA1 stuff when IMO bilstein or Penske or Ohlins are much better shocks.

baz67
01-27-2005, 09:50 PM
less than 175 for each shock is the reason for the QA1.

Brian

68fusion
01-28-2005, 02:15 AM
Bilstein 175 as well ...

Rick Dorion
01-28-2005, 08:20 AM
Bilstein - approx $80 each from Shox.com.

whytry
01-28-2005, 09:12 AM
I am running all stock front subframe and Control arms. I was also thinking of changing to coilovers in front, on stock control arms as a midpoint to my problems. I remember Super Chevy or PHR showing you can do it on stock control arms. Plus I know where I can get a great set used for a pretty good price.

What do you guys think would be my best option?

Leave the springs I have and change shocks, or get the used QA1's and why?