PDA

View Full Version : Base clear...or acrylic?

SShep71
01-20-2008, 04:38 PM
The guy doing the bodywork on my chevelle was talking to me about pait options. I told him I just want black and red solid colors. He suggested acrylic paint instead of base clear. he was talking about price difference as well as over all appearance. Im far from this stage but I need to start making decisions soon because I will be in iraq when the bodywork gets done and the ar gets painted. I could relly use some advise here.

Happyfunballs
01-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Base/clear, the price difference shouldn't be much more.

70bird
01-20-2008, 05:32 PM
X2 for base/clear, but it's going to be a lot more!
Mark

danbob67
01-20-2008, 06:15 PM
base clear, it will last much longer as well. kinda low budget low quality stuff. If you want to go with a single stage at least go with a urethane type

Sparky67
01-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Base and clear coat is the best. The brand of paint and clear coat will lower the cost too. PPG paint is very high in cost. On my 1967 Camaro, RM Diamont for the base coat and the clear coat is Rubber-seal 2300 Clear.

Jeff

http://www.kodakgallery.com/67rscamaro

TnBlkC230WZ
01-21-2008, 12:00 AM
If your are going solid color, I vote for Acrylic Urethane. You can still clear if you want. You can also flow coat PPG Concept DCC with two coats of 25% color and 75% clear.

indyjps
01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
If you want a black car go highest quality single stage. This will give you the deepest black, the base/clear blacks will look hazy/cloudy in comparison.

Jaymz
01-24-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm not really a car painter but I have been painting aircraft for a wile now. But in my limited experience a single stage black will haze, because evey time you wash it, it scratches, and the scratches will haze out over time, and wax will only fix the problem for a short time. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

68sixspeed
01-24-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm a big fan of diamont (R/M) base/clear - my car was painted in 1995 and the paint is still really really good.

http://www.rmpaint.com/en_UK/products/range/diamont.xml

bart007
01-24-2008, 06:58 PM
The single stage paints can be color sanded and buffed allowing scratched or faded paint to be brought back to life. Personally I like the look of a single stage paint job that has been buffed to dull luster. However w/two and three stage paints and with the different paint techniques out there now, you can layer colors and clear coats creating some awsome paint jobs. Good base/clear pt jobs should out last the acrylics as far as shine and durability. The more product that is needed the more expensive the paint job.

70TWO NOVA
01-25-2008, 03:49 PM
ive painted with both and i like bc/cc, but i do believe that single stage acrylics can give just as nice a finish if done right and can also be more durable as well.

jilge71
01-25-2008, 03:52 PM
diamont to me looks the best once finished out of dupont, ppg , and diamont. it has that "wet" look when its done

70TWO NOVA
01-28-2008, 08:15 AM
I am getting ready to paint a buddies truck with diamont. We did the door jambs and I do have to say I really like the way it lays out. Really nice!

BlindSideCustoms
01-31-2008, 11:12 PM
my instructor when i was in school a few years back wouldnt use anything but diamont on his high end projects. i like it i just like to spray dupont, chromabase/clear on most vehicles but on my dads bel air we are finishing up diamont;) all the way baby. hahha but seriously its good stuff, in comparison with others i like it....if youve ever seen a red car that looks almost like youve got a fountain running over it its so wet.

68sixspeed
02-02-2008, 04:45 PM
yep, diamont is good stuff; I got 'best paint' at a show a few years ago, they couldn't believe it was 10 year old paint!